Re: Understanding aggregates and annata (was Video Games)

  • buddhatrue
    Message 1 of 92 , May 2, 2004
      Friend KKT,

      Good to see you again. I was wondering where you were hiding
      yourself recently.

      KKT: Your goal now is to be reborn in a deva realm?

      James: Sure, why not? The Buddha Sangha is not what it used to be;
      I don't think I can achieve enlightenment in this lifetime without a
      strong company of admirable friends; and this human realm is really
      the pitts! ;-)) Might as well hang out in a deva realm, work on the
      perfections, and be reborn in the time of a Buddha. You know, the
      Buddha did teach that this is possible! One's intentions have a
      great influence on future lives. Since you brought it up, what is
      your goal?

      KKT: Ah, now I understand
      how the worship of Amitabha began.
      (ie. the new Buddhist religious
      movement beginning around 500
      years after Buddha's Parinibbana
      and believing in the salvation
      of Buddha Amitabha by aspiring
      to be reborn in His Pure Land)

      James: I don't know anything about this belief and it doesn't sound
      comparable to my goal. My goal is very simple and personal; I am
      not calling anyone, even myself, to `salvation' in a Pure Land! LOL!

      KKT: All that began with someone
      who had a similar idea to yours.
      (just kidding :-))

      James: Huh? What's funny? I don't get it. ;-)) All good ideas can
      be transformed later into something that is not quite right. Is the
      original good idea at fault? (And I am not saying that I have
      a `good idea', I am just expressing my thoughts at the moment. I
      know that I am not ready for enlightenment and that there isn't a
      really good reason to be reborn a human unless a Buddha is present.
      End of story.)

      KKT: Have a great day!

      James: You too! Hope you make appearances more often. ;-)

      Metta, James
    • Michelle Vellin
      Message 92 of 92 , May 12, 2004
        Thanks Rob and Jack,

        I'm trying to do samatha of course. People said that
        anapanasati is the easiest object and the most basic
        object in meditation. Is it true?

        Or maybe I've chosen the wrong object for my mind?
        My problem is my mind always wandering most of the
        time, when I'm climbing the stairs or sitting in the
        lecture hall. And I find that it's very dangerous with
        the wandering mind in my case.

        Could someone suggest me another object or maybe
        anapanasati is the right object for me?

        Thanks

        > I think first you need to adjust your expectations
        > of what happens during
        > meditation. Accept wandering mind (monkey mind as
        > some Buddhists call it) as
        > normal. Your job is to gently bring your mind back
        > to the object of meditation. At
        > first this may happen many times every minute. If
        > you find yourself judging
        > yourself as you did in the paragraph above, gently
        > say to yourself, "judging
        > mind, judging mind" and bring your attention gently
        > back to your breath.
        > Your mind on its own will eventually spend more and
        > more time on the object
        > of meditation. Don't force anything. Be gentle. Be
        > mindful of everything that
        > happens.
        >
        > There is an old Chinese proverb. If you try to keep
        > a wild horse in a small
        > stall, he will rebel and kick at the walls. But,
        > keep the wild horse in a big
        > pasture and he will accept his situation peacefully.
        >

        > jack

        > removed]
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        Regards,