Video Games?

  • buddhatrue
    Message 1 of 209 , Apr 8 11:31 PM
      Dear Friends,

      I read an article the other day that had me considering practical
      applications to the dhamma. I wanted to share my thoughts even
      though they are quite preliminary and untested at this point. I
      read a news article about how playing video games increases the
      surgical skill of doctors significantly:
      http://news.yahoo.com/news?
      tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040407/ap_on_he_me/video_game_surgery_4

      I thought about this and considered that the video games not only
      increased the eye-hand coordination ability, it probably also
      increased concentration skills. Making a leap to Buddhism, I
      considered how often the Buddha stressed the `skill of
      concentration' for release. I started to wonder if playing video
      games would also increase concentration during meditation.

      Personally, I have never really cared for any type of game because I
      have viewed them as pointless and self-indulgent (even as a child I
      had this non-traditional viewpoint). However, considering that video
      games could increase the ability to concentrate I have begun a type
      of mini-study. I found some Yahoo games that are skill based (non-
      violent) and free for the download. I have found that playing these
      games, keeping mindful of developing concentration, will improve my
      concentration during meditation if I play them immediately before
      the sitting session. I know that this is non-traditional, and I
      have never read of such a thing elsewhere, but I thought I would
      give it a shot! ;-)) (Non-traditional is my middle name! LOL!)

      Anyway, just thought I would share. If anyone finds it difficult to
      concentrate for long periods during meditation, video games could
      possibly help in this regard.

      Metta, James
      Message 209 of 209 , Apr 8 12:45 AM
        Hi Alex

        (123534)
        --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "truth_aerator" <truth_aerator@...> wrote:

        > Hi Jon, all,
        >
        > >J: As I mentioned in another post, neither did the Buddha say to >"intentionally strive".
        > >==============
        >
        > A: He has said it in sutta after suttas.
        > ===============

        J: Sorry to disagree, but I'm not aware that the Buddha has ever said that 'strive' means 'intentionally/deliberately strive' as in the conventional idea of striving. That is an interpretation given by some (but not by the commentaries).

        > ===============
        > A: What He has never said was to
        > "don't do anything".

        J: I've never suggested that the Buddha said, "Don't do anything". What I've said is that, to my reading, the factors for the development of the path include hearing and reflecting on the teachings, and that his must occur repeatedly and over a period of time. I do not read the teachings as suggesting that kusala can be induced by undertaking specific mental exercises.

        > A: Quotes I have provided many times.
        >

        > >It's a matter of context (within the particular sutta and within the >Tipitaka as a whole).
        >
        > A: And the whole context is to go *against* the flow (of craving, samsara, defilements) rather than with it.

        J: Right, and it's kusala that 'goes against the flow', I believe.