Re: [dsg] breath

  • LBIDD@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 43 , Apr 1, 2004
      Hi Nina,

      As far as I can tell, for me, the in-breath is produced by desire. The
      out breath seems to be produced sometimes by a form of dosa that pushes
      and sometimes by a form of alobha that releases tension. What kind of
      consciousnesses produce an arahant's breaths? It is hard to imagine
      breathing in without desire.

      Larry
    • nina van gorkom
      Message 43 of 43 , Apr 30, 2004
        Dear Sarah, Andrew, Philip
        Thank you. It is the word impinging, and what one means by it, really a
        minor point. I should not have asked it, it is a hairsplitting matter. The
        main thing is: what characteristic appears now. In the last instance we have
        to verify ourselves the truth of realities. And we should not cling to words
        or terms. I get the point here. But when I wrote, a teacher said, I did not
        refer to a Commentator, only to one of the teachers at the Foundation. I did
        not read about this subject in commentaries. I do not know whether there is
        anything in the Commentary about this.
        I want to add a word about this subject lest people have misunderstandings
        about the way commentators work. As said before, I am always impressed by
        the way Buddhaghosa works, mentioning when there were opinions of other
        teachers. Moreover, different opinions were mostly concerning minor points.
        The Commentators are not the omniscient Buddha, but they most faithfully
        assisted in transmitting his teachings and I am infinitely grateful to the
        reciters of the Tipitaka and commentaries. Thanks to them we can learn so
        much today. Buddhaghosa did not invent new things, he edited the old
        commentaries as we often discussed. I am thinking of Andrew's correspondance
        with Philip about oral tradition. Here are a few points to consider. Think
        of it when people in a large group recite together, there is constant
        surveillance here. And when these are superior people, wise and
        understanding, it ensures the highest standards. This was the case when at
        the Councils hundreds of arahats were reciting the texts, Tipitaka and
        commentaries, together! People without defilements have infallible memories.
        No doubt about it! They were without perversity of sa~n~naa.
        Andrew was wondering about the word pa~n~natti not used in the suttas. But
        we have the words conventional truth and absolute truth. Conventional truth
        is pa~n~natti. The Abhidhamma explains in detail about these notions. It is
        essential to know the difference, otherwise vipassana cannot be developed
        correctly. We would take the unreal for the real.
        Now, happy Vesakha to you and all here on May 4th! I am also thinking of my
        friends in Bogor. I will have a good talk with Lodewijk, like we had last
        year on Rahula who had to become like the Earth, the dustrag mentality.
        May we all become like dustrags, with all conceit eventually eliminated.
        Nina.