Re: [dsg] new to buddhism

  • Sarah
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 31, 2004
      Dear Friend,

      --- reesem44004 <reesem44004@...> wrote: > Hi everyone.
      > First I want to thank you for allowing me to join your group. Very
      > happy to be able to openly discuss buddhism without being looked at
      > or treated in a weird manner.
      S: Not at all, I'm glad to see you here. Perhaps you can let us know where
      you live and anything further on how you've become interested in Buddhism.
      > I am very new to buddhism....just started my studies about 2 months
      > ago. I would like your input as to the books you would suggest that
      > would be good to start out with.
      > I have just ordered 5 books written by Alan Watts....please lend your
      > input on good "starter" books....
      S: Just about the first book I ever read (a few times) was 'the Buddha and
      his Teachings' by Narada Thera. A friend quoted from it recently, so I
      think it's on line and gives a simple, but clear introduction to Theravada
      Buddhism. I haven't really looked at it for a very long time though.
      Please also try reading Nina Van Gorkom's 'Buddhism in Daily Life' and any
      of her other materials here:
      http://www.zolag.co.uk/

      Also, if you go to ‘Useful Posts’ and look under: ‘New to the list and New
      to Dhamma’ and also ‘Abhidhamma for Beginners’, you will find more
      suggestions:

      Finally, why not ask some basic questions here and follow the threads,
      asking for further clarifications. Meanwhile, just ignore any complicated
      discussions like those on ‘space’;-)

      Look forward to hearing more from you,

      p.s We ask everyone to ‘sign off’ with a preferably real name, so we know
      how to address each other. No need to be shy here;-)