What is the World ?

  • Bhikkhu Samahita
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 14, 2004
      Friends;
      What is this Appearance of the World ?
      The world is that by which one Perceives the world!
      The world is that by which one Conceives the world!
      This is the so-called 'World' in the Noble One's teaching.

      By what, do one perceive & conceive the world ?
      By the eye, ear, nose, tongue, body & by the mind
      do one perceive & conceive the world ...
      This is the 'World' in the Noble One's teaching.

      Samyutta Nikaya IV [95]

      World as 'Experience of world'
      World as 'Artificial construction'
      World as 'Internal representation'
      World as 'Terror of changing noise'
      It is (thus) within this fathom long frame of body endowed with
      conscious experience, senses & mind, that the world can be found!
      Here it is originated, unfolded & manifested & here it also ends ..
      Consequently is also here the method to end this world is found!

      The Wise, knowing the world to be thus, therefore ends the world,
      by fulfilling the Noble Life. In the Peace of having ended this world,
      all calmed, all stilled, he do not Long for this or any other World!
      Samyutta Nikaya I [62]

      Comments:

      Radical Empiricism:

      If one would postulate a World - 'out there' - completely
      independent of the eye, ear, nose, tongue, body & mind,
      not relying on any seeing, hearing, smelling, tasting,
      touching or thinking and thus as if invisible, silent, smell &
      tasteless, intangible & unconceivable, such world would
      indeed be utterly groundless, lacking any reference & wholly
      unverifiable. Such world - stable or changing - would be an
      irrelevant metaphysical construction: - a Castle in the Air! -

      We 'make up' the world by experiencing it!
      The world is thus not an external substance or entity,
      but an internal representation... an ideation...
      A mentally constructed & mind created neural 'film' or
      'recording' of an external condition of which our only
      witness & knowledge is this 'recorded film' itself...
      What is behind this curtain of perception or what was
      'filmed' cannot ever be known nor communicated...
      Nibbana may be likened to the blissful peace in the dark
      cinema after the film have ended & all others have rushed
      out in the streets, driven by the urge for new experience ...

      The interesting is not this boring, monotonous &
      repetitious Film itself, but the salient End of it ...
      To realize that fully takes incalculable aeons ...

      : - ]

      - The End -

      All yours in the Dhamma.
      Constructions Decay & Vanish.
      Bhikkhu Samahita, Sri Lanka.

    • htootintnaing
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 14, 2004
        Dear Bhikkhu Samahita,

        Could you please explain what you meant by perceive and conceive in
        your post in connection with eye, ear, etc etc?

        Htoo Naing

        --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, Bhikkhu Samahita
        <bhikkhu_samahita@y...> wrote:
        > Friends;
        > What is this Appearance of the World ?
        > The world is that by which one Perceives the world!
        > The world is that by which one Conceives the world!
        > This is the so-called 'World' in the Noble One's teaching.
        >
        > By what, do one perceive & conceive the world ?
        > By the eye, ear, nose, tongue, body & by the mind
        > do one perceive & conceive the world ...
        > This is the 'World' in the Noble One's teaching.
        >
        > Samyutta Nikaya IV [95]
        >

        > World as 'Experience of world'
        > World as 'Artificial
        construction'
        > World as 'Internal
        representation'
        > World as 'Terror of changing
        noise'
        > It is (thus) within this fathom long frame of body endowed with
        > conscious experience, senses & mind, that the world can be found!
        > Here it is originated, unfolded & manifested & here it also ends ..
        > Consequently is also here the method to end this world is found!
        >
        > The Wise, knowing the world to be thus, therefore ends the world,
        > by fulfilling the Noble Life. In the Peace of having ended this
        world,
        > all calmed, all stilled, he do not Long for this or any other
        World!
        > Samyutta Nikaya I [62]

        > Comments:
        >

        > Radical Empiricism:
        >
        > If one would postulate a World - 'out there' - completely
        > independent of the eye, ear, nose, tongue, body & mind,
        > not relying on any seeing, hearing, smelling, tasting,
        > touching or thinking and thus as if invisible, silent, smell &
        > tasteless, intangible & unconceivable, such world would
        > indeed be utterly groundless, lacking any reference & wholly
        > unverifiable. Such world - stable or changing - would be an
        > irrelevant metaphysical construction: - a Castle in the Air! -
        >
        > We 'make up' the world by experiencing it!
        > The world is thus not an external substance or entity,
        > but an internal representation... an ideation...
        > A mentally constructed & mind created neural 'film' or
        > 'recording' of an external condition of which our only
        > witness & knowledge is this 'recorded film' itself...
        > What is behind this curtain of perception or what was
        > 'filmed' cannot ever be known nor communicated...
        > Nibbana may be likened to the blissful peace in the dark
        > cinema after the film have ended & all others have rushed
        > out in the streets, driven by the urge for new experience ...
        >
        > The interesting is not this boring, monotonous &
        > repetitious Film itself, but the salient End of it ...
        > To realize that fully takes incalculable aeons ...
        >

        > : - ]
        >

        > - The End -
        >

        > All yours in the Dhamma.
        > Constructions Decay & Vanish.
        > Bhikkhu Samahita, Sri Lanka.

      • Bhikkhu Samahita
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 14, 2004
          Friend htootintnaing asks:

          > Could you please explain what you meant by perceive
          > and conceive in connection with eye, ear, nose etc?

          This Udana I-10 may serve good here:

          So have I heard:
          When the Blessed One, on repeated requests from the Venerable Bahiya
          instructed him, standing in the street, in what were Venerable
          Bahiya's last minutes of life, the result was that he, Bahiya
          - the Bark-Clothed Recluse - attained final Nibbana!

          This direct, clear-cut & acutely express admonition
          was so simply expounded:

          In the seen is merely (the process of seeing &) what is seen.
          In the heard is merely (hearing &) what is heard.
          In the sensed is merely (sensing &) what is sensed.
          In the thought is merely (thinking &) what is thought.
          So knowing, you will not be (connected) `with that'.
          So disconnected you will not be (absorbed) `in that'.
          So neither `with that' nor `in that' you are! not `by that'
          sensation. #

          When there is no `you' (or "outside world") inferred!, deduced
          assumed or conjectured -By That- sensation, then `you' are
          neither `here', `there', `both', `beyond' nor `in between...'

          On realizing the importance of this incident
          the Blessed One exclaimed:

          `Where neither solidity, fluidity, heat or diffusion find footing,
          there no sun, moon nor star shines. There is neither any light
          yet nor is there any darkness. When the Noble, through stilling of
          all construction, through quieting of all mental formation, directly
          experiences this, then is he freed from both form & formlessness,
          then is he released from both pleasure & pain …'

          --ooOoo--

          # Comments:

          The Train of Radical Empiricism.

          A gold-nugget of an instruction! Brevity is clarity!
          There is no-one who senses, even though sensing occurs!

          Seeing is just a selfless event of contact:
          between eye, object & visual consciousness.

          No `person' or `onlooker' is involved or can be inferred from that!
          No subject or `I' is created, just because there is an object,
          or just because there occurs the process of seeing …

          Similarly; No external world is implied by the perception itself!
          From seeing a film of a train one cannot conclude: this train exists!

          The fact that there is an image projected, does per se imply,
          in or by itself, that any-one actually is `looking in' or
          `is behind' the camera … Just camera is there.
          `By that' perception no `perceiver' is thereby present or created!

          Similarly; that there is an image projected, does per se imply,
          in or by itself, that there is any existing substance in front
          of the camera - out there - ! Just image is there.

          So the `personal entity' we assume, suppose, deduce, expect &
          believe to enjoy the experience is merely a mental construct,
          an idea, a concept, & not a reality …
          The passive impersonal process of sensing, perception & experiencing
          cannot thereby be `instrumental' for neither creating nor inferring
          any `being in existence' or "substance in existence" !!!

          "'I' am not, just because there is experience."
          "'World' is neither, just because there is experience."
          " What there IS is momentary Experience. No more is Fact!"

          The fact of this fundamental `selflessness' & "substancelessness"
          is far the most essential core of the Buddha-Dhamma.

          Outmost important to grasp yet subtle, counterintuitive & thereby
          difficult & somewhat `nasty' to comprehend. Keep trying, since this
          central Anatta doctrine is the `opener, releaser & freer' of any
          mind. Being hopelessly in love with an imagined idea of `I' is both
          fatal, tragic & sardonically comic …
          Besides it is the first severe hindrance in the form
          the fetter of "Sakkaya-Ditthi" = "I am my own body View"
          to Entering the Stream of safety.
        • Eznir
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 14, 2004
            Dear Bhante & Friends!

            The presence or 'is-ness' of Things is Consciousness. When one
            perceives and conceives presence of things to be 'mine' 'I am'
            or 'myself' the world arises!

            <bhikkhu_samahita@y...> wrote:
            > Friend htootintnaing asks:
          • Bhikkhu Samahita
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 15, 2004
              Hi Eznir ao:

              Well put (sadhu!):

              >The presence or 'is-ness' of Things is Consciousness!
              >When one perceives & conceives the presence of things
              >the world arises!

              This IS nama-rupa ('naming-&-forming')

              Which is:

              Indivisible; like the two ends of the same stick.
              Inseparable; like the light from the flame.
              Which covers all; both internal & external.
              Which is 1 single continuity of 2 overlapping aspects.

              When disgusted with all naming-&-forming!
              When disillusioned with all construction!
              Seeing the inevitability of transience & decay,
              one gives it up, surrenders, let it go like one
              who suddenly realizes the futility of trying to
              draw in water with a stick ...

              samahita