[dhammastudygroup] millenium qus

  • Jonothan & Sarah Abbott
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 29, 1999
      Dear Dh friends,

      To get the 'ball rolling', I have a qu for any of you who make it here
      and am repeating a qu just rec'd from Nina (not yet on the internet) to
      bring up in
      Bkk.

      So how do you view the Millenium? Are you having any useful reflections
      or meaningful celebrations?

      Now I'm quoting from Nina and welcome contributions..."I am writing on
      India. We discussed vipallasas, perversions: to take impermanent for
      permanent, non-self for self, foulness for beauty, dukkha for
      happiness, by citta, sanna or ditthi. Kh S. suggested each akusala
      sanna is perversion, because it is not right sanna, but I do not
      understand: how can citta and sanna with DOSA take something for beauty
      or happiness, or with MOHAMULACITTA: see beauty and happiness?"

      looking f/w to hearing from you,
      Sarah
    • Jonothan & Sarah Abbott
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 3, 2000
        I'm just reflecting on a few of Kh Sujin's short responses which I
        found very helpful during our great discussion at Ivan & Elle's house.
        These are not exact quotes, so pls correct or add any comments!

        1. When asked about a problem in a relationship her response was to ask
        if were thinking of a 'sitution' again? She went on to say there would
        always be more situations and more problems. What about namas and rupas
        now?

        2. When asked about difficulties one might find with another person's
        accumulations or 'character', she reminded us to 'take it easy' and
        suggested that reflecting like this showed our 'wishful thinking' for
        it to be another way.

        3. When we reflect on how useful certain occasions such as on a dhamma
        trip to India are for helping us to have more awareness and compare
        with our regular daily life, she advised us to be aware of 'the latent
        attachment'.

        4. When I asked Nina's qu below about vipallasas (perversions), kh
        Sujin's comment was that thinking can think about anything, thinking
        with dosa can think about anything. so there's no reason why thinking
        w/dosa (w/ or w'out wrong view) can't take something for beauty of
        happiness and of course it happens all the time.
        Sarah

        > Now I'm quoting from Nina and welcome contributions..."I am writing on
        > India. We discussed vipallasas, perversions: to take impermanent for
        > permanent, non-self for self, foulness for beauty, dukkha for
        > happiness, by citta, sanna or ditthi. Kh S. suggested each akusala
        > sanna is perversion, because it is not right sanna, but I do not
        > understand: how can citta and sanna with DOSA take something for
        beauty
        > or happiness, or with MOHAMULACITTA: see beauty and happiness?"
        >
        > looking f/w to hearing from you,
        > Sarah

      • amara chay
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 3, 2000
          >Now I'm quoting from Nina and welcome contributions..."I am writing on
          >India. We discussed vipallasas, perversions: to take impermanent for
          >permanent, non-self for self, foulness for beauty, dukkha for
          >happiness, by citta, sanna or ditthi. Kh S. suggested each akusala
          >sanna is perversion, because it is not right sanna, but I do not
          >understand: how can citta and sanna with DOSA take something for
          beauty
          >or happiness, or with MOHAMULACITTA: see beauty and happiness?"
          >
          >looking f/w to hearing from you,
          >Sarah

          It was a real pleasure to read about the discussion especially since I had
          missed most of it. I would like to comment on Nina's problem, I think we
          all do it everyday, taking things we like for beauty and happiness, and
          certainly since at that moment the aramana must be thoughts and not the
          paramatthadhamma of the instant, it would arise with citta and sanna that
          are accompanied by mohamulacitta... I am a little uncertain about happiness
          arising with dosa, since lobha and dosa never arise together, unlike moha
          that can accompany either one. Of course they can all rapidly arise
          alternately and in any order so that they seem to be the same instant!
          This is a very good reminder that even our slightest pleasure, without
          knowledge of the real characteristics of the instant, can lead to
          accumulation of sanna vipallasa, I think.
          What about you?
          Amara