Re: [dsg] Sotaapanno

  • Jonothan Abbott
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 7 11:02 PM
      Michael

      I don't think the sutta reference is to the phala citta. I agree it
      is easy to assume so, given the mention of 'fruition', but the
      commentary to the sutta seems to indicate otherwise -- see footnote
      1298 to para 6 of the sutta (in which the order of the various
      persons is reversed to that in para 5 quoted in your post) which
      indicates that the results of the giving to the various classes of
      person is in *ascending order of magnitude*. Thus the 'one
      practicing for the realization of stream entry fruition' must refer
      to a person who has not yet attained sotapattimagga citta.

      This is I think the same point as made by Sarah in an earlier reply
      to you.

      Jon

      --- Michael Beisert <mbeisert@...> wrote: > Hello All,
      The sutta in question is the Dakkhinavibhanga Sutta (MN 142). The
      sutta says:

      5. "There are fourteen kinds of personal offerings, Ananda. One gives
      a gift to the Tathagata, ...to a paccekabuddha ...to an arahant
      disciple of the Tathagata ...to one who has entered upon the way to
      the realization of the fruit of arahantship ...to a non-returner
      ...to one who has entered upon the way to the realization of the
      fruit of non-returner ...to a once-returner ...to one who has entered
      upon the way to the realization of the fruit of once-return ...to a
      stream-enterer ...to one who has entered upon the way to the
      realization of the fruit of stream-entry.
      <snip>

      It is quite clear that the stream enterer and the one practicing for
      the realization of stream entry fruition are two distinct individuals
      with two corresponding consciousnesses which leads to the conclusion
      that magga consciousness and phala consciousness do not occur in
      succession, in the same cognitive series, as described in the
      Visudhimagga and the Abhidhammattha Sangaha.