Foremost analyst

  • Jinavamsa
    Message 1 of 51 , Jan 18, 2001
      .
      hello all, and greetings,

      I have come across lists in the past of descriptions of various
      individuals from the time of the Buddha in which each was
      identified as foremost or best in this or that. For example,
      Moggallana was foremost in powers. Or Sariputta was foremost
      in wisdom. (I believe these two are correct.) These lists were
      in the Tipi.taka and more specifically, in the Suttapi.taka.

      Would anyone know exactly where such lists are given? In
      particular, could anyone direct me to where the Buddha is
      described as best in making distinctions? (references esp.
      to Tipi.taka, but also to atthakathâ or .tîkâ, incl. VmM and
      VsM would be welcome.)

      Finally, what would the Pali of these terms be? For 'best',
      I thought it would be se.t.t.ho or some variation (or possibly
      pâmokkha), and for 'distinction-maker', something made up out
      of the root bhaj (or perhaps something more like vematta,
      pa.tisambhida, vivecana).

      But my memory is not clear about these. I did notice that
      vibhajjavâdî is sometimes taken not as a description in
      particular of the Buddha, but of Theravâda teachings overall.

      I did find in the Visuddhimagga-mahâ.tîkâ, the phrase
      vibhajjavâdî mahârâjâ, King of the Distinction-makers,
      or, Great King amongst the Analysts, etc. (in chap. 17,
      Sect. 581), referring to the Buddha (the sammâsambuddho),
      but that's a few degrees away from the Tipi.taka itself ....

      well, thank you for all help.
      Jinavamsa
      =========
    • srnsk@aol.com
      Message 51 of 51 , Jan 31, 2001
        Hi all,

        I just have time to check my thai Tipitaka CDrom. I found Ektatakapali
        verse. There are about 50 names of bikku, bikkuni, layman and laywoman who
        are the best in different fields. This is the location from my CDrom ref,
        Suttantapitaka boook 12, Anggutaranikaya vagga 146 page 28.
        Eka-tuka-tikanibata.

        Num