Re: [dsg] Re: SN I.1 (1) Crossing the Flood was [Ken O]

  • Kenneth Ong
    Message 1 of 72 , Jan 1, 2004
      Hi Dan

      > By following the rules, one will attain liberation?

      k: Nope :-). But I (stubborn like a bull) still belief they are
      part of the middle way.

      kind regards
      Ken O

    • nina van gorkom
      Message 72 of 72 , Jan 5, 2004
        Hi Sarah, James, Dan,
        op 05-01-2004 09:04 schreef Sarah op sarahdhhk@...:

        >> "Though the path is impassable and uneven,
        >>> The noble ones walk it, Kamada.
        >>> The ignoble ones fall down head first,
        >>> Right there on the uneven path,
        >>> But the path of the noble ones is even,
        >>> For the noble are even amidst the uneven."
        >>
        > D:> Could it be that the "uneven path" is the "wrong path" that the
        >> ignoble ones tread, while the "even path" is the "Right path" that
        >> the noble ones tread? The part of the commentary you cite doesn't
        >> comment on that.
        > I don’t have access to any more of the commentary than the part James
        > quoted from BB either. (I’d be grateful if Nina or anyone else were able
        > to assist further in this regard). Just a few more speculations of my own
        > here.
        Nina: I looked at some old notes from my co: first a footnote reference to
        Devas, i, 4: Not grasped: <uneven: may refer to one's environment, one's
        sphere of being, or to moral corruptions.> Co refers to the samana dhammas,
        contentment with the requisites, it also includes not returning abuse.
        <Who delight in calming the mind,
        Whose minds, day and night,
        Take delight in development.">
        Co refers to satipatthana.
        And uneven: in the beginning panna is weak, and thus there are more dangers.
        Remarks: defilements are strong, but panna should know these too, and this
        is difficult. Panna should know all such moments, otherwise we take them for
        self. Nothing should be skipped.