Re: [dsg] processes in Patthana, Patisambhidha

  • upasaka@aol.com
    Message 1 of 56 , Dec 31, 2003
      Hi, Nina -

      In a message dated 1/1/04 1:41:15 AM Eastern Standard Time, nilo@...
      writes:

      > Hi Howard,
      > Thank you for your kind wishes for my father. It is just old age, 103 years,
      > some disorientation as to place, his memory, etc.

      Howard:
      How wonderful to reach that age, to love music, and to have a loving,
      caring daughter and son-in-law. He is blessed.
      But Music is fine for him.>
      > He is quite absentminded but lives up when he listens. We give it twice a
      > week, it means rehearsing. Your story is quite amazing about the person in
      > coma.
      > My father gets irritated about Buddhism

      Howard:
      And perhaps your husband a drop as well at times? ;-))
      , but when Spinoza says something it>
      > is O.K.
      Howard:
      He could do a lot worse than Spinoza to admire. Years ago I read a
      little of Spinoza, and I was very impressed by his work. He was a pantheist who
      at one point was finally excommunicated by the Synagogue authorities of the
      time.
      We had a nice chat about anger. Spinoza says that you should have no>
      > hate and when one is angry one cannot think clearly. He had to laugh and he
      > asked Lodewijk and me whether we are sometimes angry. He can say very good
      > things about politics, Proust, Balzac.

      Howard:
      He sounds like a brilliant man. (But that doesn't come as a surprise.)
      What he formerly did emerges then and>
      > Lodewijk does his utmost to stimulate him, telling him about a passage of
      > Proust he read the other day.
      Howard:
      Wonderful!

      > Yes, about processes in more detail is in the Patthana under anatara
      > paccaya, contiguity-condition, and in the Path of Discrimination. But citta
      > is classified as dhatu: vinnanadhatu, mano-vinnana-dhatu, and people will
      > not recognize them. I wrote to Rob M about all this in an old post. Please
      > remind me, after I have first written about bhavanga, but this is work in
      > progress.
      > Nina.

      phantom, and a dream./ (From the Diamond Sutra)

    • upasaka@aol.com
      Message 56 of 56 , Jan 18, 2004
        Thanks, Jon. I very much appreciate your going to the effort to keep track of
        this! ;-))