Re: [dsg] Re: Pure Mind/Buddha Nature

  • upasaka@aol.com
    Message 1 of 46 , Nov 27, 2003
      Hi, Ken -

      In a message dated 11/27/03 11:25:12 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      ashkenn2k@... writes:

      > Hi Howard

      > >Howard:
      > > Read the sutta, Ken. It is crystal clear - it speaks for
      > itself. (Go "argue" with the Buddha, not with me! ;-)
      > >----------------------------------------------------
      >
      > k: If Buddha is here, we will have not discussed anything at all, we
      > just ask him, make life easier for everyone :). Gosh sometimes I wish
      > he was here. Yes it is clear but luminious is the mind if
      > interpreted by non-commentarial input will mean there is an
      > underlying pure mind. If you think otherwise, pse kindly comment.
      > Will you think Buddha, will make such a position, if we interpolate
      > with many other suttas where he keep insisting on impermanence and
      > anatta.
      >
      > kind regards
      > Ken O

      ==============================
      If the defilements were intrinsic to the mind, release would be
      impossible. If the chalk were not covering the blackboard, but were part of the
      blackboard, there would be no cleaning off of the chalk. If the dust were not just
      resting upon the surface of the glass, but were an essential part of it,
      there would be no cleaning of the mirror. The defilements are not intrinsic to the
      mind, and that is why the mind is luminous, both in the arahant and in the
      worldling - and that is why the task of liberation is not hopeless.
      When one doesn't accept the clear and plain meaning of a sutta, but
      looks for obscure interpretations, that generally suggests an inclination to
      justify one's preferences, a tendency we all have.

      phantom, and a dream./ (From the Diamond Sutra)

    • upasaka@aol.com
      Message 46 of 46 , Aug 8 10:41 PM
        Hi, Robert -

        epsteinrob@... writes:

        > Dear Howard,
        > What amazes me about the sutta -- which I am grateful came up in this
        > discussion -- is the penetration and detail of the Buddha's
        > understanding. Without turning consciousness into an object, he shows
        > how to maintain equanimity and avoid attachment. I have copied the
        > sutta into my database for further study.

        Howard:
        I think that is a great idea. This seems to be a sutta of great depth
        and subtlety, and well worth further study!

        > Best,
        > Robert Ep.

        phantom, and a dream./ (From the Diamond Sutra)