Re: [dsg] concept a shorthand for a long detailed account of realities

  • nina van gorkom
    Message 1 of 58 , Nov 2, 2003
      op 01-11-2003 16:52 schreef Larry op LBIDD@...:

      > A Sujin: "Whatever we read represents realities. By weather' is
      > meant the heat or cold or other experiences felt as a result of this
      > condition. We use weather' as a kind of shorthand for an
      > otherwise long detailed account of realities."

      L: This is exactly as I see it also, i.e.: carriages, persons, and
      > governments are realities insofar as the words "carriages, "persons"
      > and "governments" point to the rise and fall of the complex
      > manifestation of khandhas.
      N: I would turn this around: the khandhas are not as complex as carriages,
      persons. Insight is developed of nama and rupa, so that their rise and fall
      eventually can be realized.

      L: The only issue now is to
      > figure out a distinction between this use of concept and the use as
      > exemplified by "mathematics". Or do we want to say mathematics is a
      > shorthand for the rise and fall of realities (mostly? rupa).
      N: I am not a mathematicus, perhaps Howard can answer this. I do not see any
      relation here.
      Nina.
    • nina van gorkom
      Message 58 of 58 , Nov 19, 2003
        Hi Mike,
        Nice to hear from you. Thanks for your good wishes, Hope to hear more from
        you ;-))
        Now I catch your eye, I remember that latent tendencies was a favorite
        subject for you. As I announced, I am just trying to translate from Thai, it
        goes very slowly. Be on the look out, and please feed back!
        Nina.