Luck?...Kamma?

  • Star Kid
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 31, 2003
      Dear James,

      I'm still thinking about the words "luck" and
      "kamma".I mean why do people think four-leaf clovers
      are lucky?
      Did the Buddha think four-leaf clovers were lucky?
      I was wondering, did you read my letter on the 11th of
      October, because I didn't see any reply . But it
      doesn't matter if you're busy.

      Metta, Sandy.

    • buddhatrue
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1, 2003
        --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, Star Kid <starkidsclub@y...>
        wrote:

        > Dear James,
        >
        > I'm still thinking about the words "luck" and
        > "kamma".I mean why do people think four-leaf clovers
        > are lucky?
        > Did the Buddha think four-leaf clovers were lucky?
        > I was wondering, did you read my letter on the 11th of
        > October, because I didn't see any reply . But it
        > doesn't matter if you're busy.
        >
        > Metta, Sandy.

        Hi Star Kid Sandy!

        I replied to your other letter, so now I will reply to this one. I
        think that people believe that four-leaf clovers are lucky because
        they are rare. It takes some looking around to find one (though with
        genetic engineering I believe that they have figured out how to grow
        them by the hundreds...cheaters! ;-). No, the Buddha didn't think
        that four-leaf clovers where lucky. Actually, I doubt that he even
        saw a four-leaf clover because he lived in India and they don't grow
        there. They only grow is wet climates like Ireland and Scotland (and
        other wet parts of the world); India is predominately dry for most of
        the year and then gets a lot of rain once a year. But either way, he
        didn't believe that any sort of object could be lucky.

        Take care.

        Metta, James