New Photos of Myanmar

  • Sukinderpal Singh Narula
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 24, 2003
      Hi All,

      We have all just arrived back from Myanmar.
      It was a great trip.
      Happy to be able to access dsg again.
      I have uploaded some photos from our trip.
      Hope you will all enjoy viewing them.

      Metta,

      Sukin.
    • Jonothan Abbott
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 26, 2003
        Sukin and All

        Many thanks for posting these pics, which I am looking forward to
        viewing as soon as I get home tomorrow (Monday, around 12 noon Hong
        kong time).

        Somewhat sadly, Sarah and I are coming to the end of a wonderful 10
        days in Myanmar and here in Bangkok. I can't quite accept at the
        moment that by this time tomorrow I will not only be back in Hong
        Kong but will have just about finished an afternoon's work!

        Our thanks to all the English speaking members of the tour group for
        great discussion and good companionship on the trip -- Sukin, Betty,
        Num, Christine, Azita, Jack (and wife Oi), Shakti and Sandra
        (potential newbie), and also to Kom and O (from Calif), Ivan and Ell
        for the time here in Bangkok.

        Many thanks also to all of you who posted while we were away.
        Checking the list from time to time and reading through printouts of
        all the posts along the way (despite very limited internet access in
        Myanmar)has been one of the highlights for Sarah and I. Many good
        points to consider.

        Myanmar is a very nice country to visit, despite the bad press it
        gets, and I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone considering
        a visit.

        Have to go now. Sarah and I are looking forward to getting back to
        discussion with you all soon.

        Jon

        --- Sukinderpal Singh Narula <sukinder@...> wrote: > Hi All,

        > We have all just arrived back from Myanmar.
        > It was a great trip.
        > Happy to be able to access dsg again.
        > I have uploaded some photos from our trip.
        > Hope you will all enjoy viewing them.
        >
        > Metta,
        >
        > Sukin.

      • nina van gorkom
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 26, 2003
          Dear Sarah, Jon and friends,
          welcome back all of you. We really missed you.
          Delighted to hear the discussions were so good and to hear who were present.
          Kom, I did not know you were in Bgk, do tell us more about the discussions.
          And also Kh O, how nice you were there.
          Azita, thank you very much for your post and good reminders, and Christine
          for the post about animals and compassion. Yes, whenever there is an
          opportunity let us take action. We live in the world. There should not be in
          our life a contradiction of ultimate and conventional realities! We should
          find a balance.
          Nina.
          op 26-10-2003 10:50 schreef Jonothan Abbott op jonoabb@...:

          > Somewhat sadly, Sarah and I are coming to the end of a wonderful 10
          > days in Myanmar and here in Bangkok. ..
          > Our thanks to all the English speaking members of the tour group for
          > great discussion and good companionship on the trip -- Sukin, Betty,
          > Num, Christine, Azita, Jack (and wife Oi), Shakti and Sandra
          > (potential newbie), and also to Kom and O (from Calif), Ivan and Ell
          > for the time here in Bangkok.
        • abbott_hk
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 26, 2003
            Dear Nina & All,

            --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, nina van gorkom <nilo@e...>
            wrote:
            > Dear Sarah, Jon and friends,
            > welcome back all of you. We really missed you.
            > Delighted to hear the discussions were so good and to hear who were
            present.
            Not quite back - I'm on on a Thai computer at the airport and
            fumbling around with the keys as I have so meany pleasant thoughts
            about the trip and friends....'whispering lobha' as K. Sujin quietly
            reminded us all many times as we asked questions about the details,
            find ways for wholesome states to develop quicker or showed concern
            about unwholesome states....'whispering lobha' as we looked at tables
            of food, sunsets, stupas, markets or swimming pools(in my
            case)....'whispering lobha' as we excitedly discussed dhamma on
            buses, in airports, over meals together and with K.Sujin whenever we
            could arrange it.... 'whispering lobha' as I met Kom for the first
            time over breakfast yesterday at our hotel and other friends like
            Shakti & Sandra for the first time..... more 'whispering lobha' (in
            truth it was often screaming lobha) to spend time with old friends
            again, chat and laugh a lot together too..., but it was a really
            super group... and now more 'whispering lobha' as I catch up with you
            all on list, in between the great appreciation for all the super
            dhamma-packed posts and friendly comments...Ken H, James & All (too
            many to mention) - many thanks;-).

            This is likely to get zapped anytime, so will catch up more after
            settling back into Hong Kong life....another world from the quiet,
            undeveloped, seemingly unpolulated beautiful Myanmar countryside with
            nothing but stupas on the horizon.... and of course, 'whispering
            lobha' as I tell these stories with just occasional awareness of
            thinking as the reality in between the seeing, hearing and so on. At
            these precious moments of awareness, there's no dream or illusion and
            then the 'whispering lobha' follows again.....

            Asavas(intoxicants)fermenting and oozing out at every opportunity. So
            I understand in the Vism context (discussed before with Nina and
            Larry and now with KS), a moment of understanding and then lobha
            attaching to it. Elsewhere, understanding comprehending
            the 'whispering lobha' and other asavas for what they are -
            conditioned dhammas, anatta and quite beyond any control.

            Boarding call - another set of stories;-)

            Any 'whispering lobha' now? Any awareness or understanding?

            p.s Kom, Betty, Christine, Azita, Jack, O and others have all left
            this morning for Chengmai and the north today...more opportunities
            for awareness and understanding....and 'whipsering lobha'....Shakti
            has gone sounth and 'whispering lobha' hopes she'll add her report
            with the Manjushri sword reminders;-);-)
          • norakat147
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 26, 2003
              Hi - To all on or back from Myanmar trip,

              Enjoying all the pictures and posts/reports from Myanmar.

              Welcome back or safe trip home !

              Metta,

              nori
            • nina van gorkom
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 27, 2003
                Dear Sarah and all,
                delighted with the airport letters of both of you. I can imagine you both
                sitting at the computers. And as Azita said, you marked shopping time for
                dhamma time. I could imagine this! As usual a very good opportunity.
                Kom and other Chengmai going friends, have compassion on me, and tell me
                about where you went and what you discussed with whom!
                Kom, could you find out about the difficult phrase: thy aw? But I post the
                issue on sotapannas anyway, with dots.
                The main thing is to know that there are conditions for different types of
                sotapanna. In the Dhamma there is room for all types of people with
                different kinds of accumulations. The panna of the sotapanna who has seven
                rebirths is not as strong as the panna of sotapannas with six or only one
                rebirth. I find it helpful to know that a sotapanna can cling to all the
                pleasant things, cling to life in the cycle, but panna goes across all such
                moments and in the end he attains arahatship. We read in the Dispeller of
                Delusion:
                <But the Noble Disciple attains complete extinction before the eight
                existence in whatever way his understanding is slow. He only goes to a
                seventh existence, even if he enjoys the process [of existence] as much as
                Sakka. In the seventh existence, even if he lives in all negligence, his
                insight knowledge comes to ripen. Feeling revulsion for even the smallest
                object, he arrives at peace.>
                Thus, even a sotapanna may live in negligence. I am impressed, we see that
                wisdom works its way. Panna can become a power, bala, it can arise in the
                midst of negligence and attachment. It shows that vipassana is very natural.
                But of course, once the person who became a sotapanna had to begin. It
                teaches us, though, not to try to change our natural inclinations, but
                rather, to understand them. This is very comforting, we do not need to
                despair.
                <...even if he lives in all negligence, his insight knowledge comes to
                ripen> we read. There were also conditions for courage and energy. All the
                perfections have been accumulated. There are many intricate conditions
                working in our lives, and this explains why there are periods of slackness,
                doubt, despair, and also moments of courage and energy for the development
                of panna. It is important to understand that all those moments are
                conditioned. But good friends are very important for the development of
                panna. That is why such a trip as to Myanmar boosts one's confidence.
                Nina.
                P.S. Sarah, you need to settle down first, I hope your knee is better. Later
                on I would like to hear more details of the discussions, please.

                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 28, 2003
                  --- norakat147 <nori_public@...> wrote: > Hi - To all on or back
                  from Myanmar trip,

                  > Enjoying all the pictures and posts/reports from Myanmar.
                  >
                  > Welcome back or safe trip home !
                  >

                  > Metta,
                  >
                  > nori

                  Thanks, Nori. It's good to be back!

                • shakti
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 31, 2003
                    Dear Sukin,

                    Thanks for posting the photos. For some reason I can't seem to access them from the computers at the cyber cafes that I have tried. I'll be back home in approx. one week and look forward to seeing them then. Thanks for taking the time to post them.

                    With mett, Shakti

                    Sukinderpal Singh Narula <sukinder@...> wrote:
                    Hi All,

                    We have all just arrived back from Myanmar.
                    It was a great trip.
                    Happy to be able to access dsg again.
                    I have uploaded some photos from our trip.
                    Hope you will all enjoy viewing them.

                    Metta,

                    Sukin.

                  • gazita2002
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 31, 2003
                      dear sukin,

                      thanks forthe photos of Myanmar, they are great.

                      Currently awaiting plane for Australia. The northern trip was
                      good. More on that later, sorry missed you at breakfast at Marriot
                      with Chris and Betty, conditions rule OK.

                      Hope all goes well, and thank you again for being a kalayanamita.

                      Patience [have learnt a little more about patience since my
                      trip], courage and good cheer,

                      Azita.

                      ps hello Shakti

                      -- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, shakti
                      <deannajohnsonusa@y...> wrote:
                      > Dear Sukin,
                      >
                      > Thanks for posting the photos. >
                      >
                      > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    • Sukinderpal Singh Narula
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 31, 2003
                        Hi Azita and Shakti,

                        I am glad you appreciate the photos, though I would have prefered to
                        retouch them in a photo editing program first.

                        Thankyou for your company during the trip, and Shakti, I loved your
                        summary. :-) And like Sarah, I was quite inspired by your enthusiasm
                        for and understanding of K. Sujin's words. Please do take a more
                        active part on the list, I am quite certain that you will make
                        positive contribution.

                        Look forward to seeing both of you and everyone else again in the
                        future. BTW, I am sorry to report that the Keang Krajan trip has
                        been cancelled. :-(( But we will be having discussions at the
                        foundation anyway, and Jon, Sarah, Nina and Lodevijk will be here.
                        So hope you can make it.

                        Metta,
                        Sukin.

                        --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "gazita2002"