Re: [DhammaStudyGroup] new year's greeting where it belongs

  • Sarah Procter Abbott
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 2, 2001
      Dear Bruce,

      I really enjoyed your post below. Firstly it's very
      funny indeed and more importantly it showed yr
      appreciation and understanding that any time is the
      right time for developing sati! Great!

      --- bruce <bmalcolm@...> wrote: > robt
      was kind enough to point out my absolute lack
      > of mindfullness in
      > posting this to the d-list....bad form, very sloppy,
      > and i apologize...this
      > was certainly meant for dsg:

      There are a few of us who regularly press that zap
      button at the wrong time and place....When I read
      other mistakes it reassures me to know that I'm not
      alone in this! (I'm not pretending there's anything
      kusala here!) At that moment of embrarrassment or
      shock when we discover the mistake there can be sati
      too! > =====================

      i am undergoing
      > severe nicotine withdrawal, and can barely
      > concentrate on these sentences
      > long enough to form them...i'm at 5 days 20 hours
      > with no cigarettes and
      > counting, and it is some genuine akusala
      > vipaka...needless to say, this is
      > an excellent time for mindfulness and trying to
      > understand the moment:

      Yes, however wiped out one feels or however 'blurry'
      the realities, sati can arise and will arise if there
      are moments of understanding at these times. This is
      why concentration as we understand it is not the key,
      but understanding is! There will be rt concentration
      automatically if there is rt understanding even when
      we can't form a sentence! I once asked K.Sujin about
      sati if we end up w/ Alzheimer's disease and she
      replied that there can still be sati and panna in
      between all the other experiences. Anytime!

      it
      > seems to me that it's the papannca *about* my
      > current unpleasant feelings
      > that makes this unpleasantness appear real and
      > lasting, and much nastier
      > than it actually is....i try to just notice the
      > feelings as they arise and
      > pass, and i get the idea that they're happening so
      > swiftly that it's
      > useless to try and do anything but watch the current
      > flow by...

      Yes, I agree...all those stories and dosa that make it
      so hard! Yes, too, useless to try and DO anything...

      > my teacher says this is a fine oppportunity to deal
      > with tanha and upadana
      > head-on....yeah: collision: that about sums up the
      > moment....

      I love it! Hope you don't injure yourself seriously in
      that collision!

      > i'll check back in soon...pls know that i'm reading
      > all the posts, and
      > getting more useful information than i thought
      > possible...

      Bruce, pls do keep us posted on yr progress w/ yr
      great style (I mean nicotine withdrawal as well as the
      loftier progress). If the sentences are left
      unfinished, we'll understand!

      > thanks for so much good discussion...

      THANK YOU!

      Sarah

      p.s. give yourself a few other treats to help
      compensate- cream cakes or whatever else appeals....I
      remember Jonothan put on lots of weight when he gave
      up ciggies (ages ago now) but he lost it later when
      his 'system' settled down to the new nicotine-free
      world.

    • m. nease
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 4, 2001
        Bruce,

        Great to hear from you, and shinnen omedetoo
        gozaimas'!

        Hope you can find time to keep in touch...

        mike

        http://photos.yahoo.com/