Re: [dsg] Re: Sutta and interpretation.

  • Sukinder
    Message 1 of 86 , Oct 1, 2003
      Hi Victor,

      :-)
      Concept!

      Metta,
      Sukin
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "yu_zhonghao" <yu_zhonghao@...>
      To: <dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Wednesday, October 01, 2003 1:10 PM
      Subject: [dsg] Re: Sutta and interpretation.

      > Hi Sukin and all,
      >
      > Is excrement a concept or reality?
      >
      > Peace,
      > Victor
      >
      > --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "Sukinderpal Singh Narula"
      > <sukinder@k...> wrote:
      > [snip]
      > > moment moving in the right direction or not. But I think Right
      > View and
      > > the ability to distinguish between concept and reality is of
      > primary
      > > importance!
      > [snip]
      > > With metta,
      > > Sukin.

    • nina van gorkom
      Message 86 of 86 , Oct 20, 2003
        Dear Larry,
        op 19-10-2003 22:28 schreef LBIDD@... op LBIDD@...:

        > It looks to me that discrimination of cause and effect
        > (dhamma and attha) concerns both paramattha dhammas and conventional
        > realties, or, to put it another way, basic and complex arisings.
        N: I believe that cause and effect in conventional sense can be understood
        without learning the dhamma. When I look at the Vis 21 and at the Tiika I
        see five items and these refer to paramattha dhammas. Vis 21 has: < But in
        particular the five things, namely, (i) anything conditionally produced,(ii)
        nibbana, (iii) the meaning of what is spoken, (iv) (kamma-)
        result, and (v) functional (consciousness), should be understood as
        "meaning".>
        But I agree that what is spoken (cause) and meaning that is understood
        (meaning or outcome) is more complex.
        When I studied before the meanings of dhamma and learnt that even pannatti
        is dhamma, I was at first surprised. Now it is clearer. That what makes
        known, which is one meaning of pannatti, is cause, *dhamma*, and what is
        known is *meaning* in this sense.
        We also learn that the four discriminations are for non-trainers, arahats,
        and trainers, ariyans who are not arahat. Thus, it is not understanding of
        cause and effect that is common to us ordinary people.