List 1st anniversary

  • Sarah Procter Abbott
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 28, 2000
      Dear Friends,

      This week is the 1st anniversary of this discussion
      list. We're all newbies to it (not just Mike!) even
      though I gather there are some professional listies
      helping us with their expertise!

      Speaking for myself, I've found the list has grown
      from strength to strength over the year and it has
      been a real inspiration to me. Much more than that. It
      has given my study, consideration and understanding of
      dhamma the real boost and impetus they badly needed.
      In fact it has been the best boost they've had in many
      years.

      I'd like to sincerely thank all of you for your
      contributions and interest in the list. Even those of
      you who prefer to lie low (or are too busy to do
      otherwise), thank you for just being with us and
      listening in.

      Wishing everyone a very happy and healthy New Year and
      may the consideration of dhamma prompted on the list
      be a condition for panna to develop.

      Best wishes and metta,

    • amara chay
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 28, 2000
        > This week is the 1st anniversary of this discussion
        > list. We're all newbies to it (not just Mike!) even
        > though I gather there are some professional listies
        > helping us with their expertise!
        >
        > Speaking for myself, I've found the list has grown
        > from strength to strength over the year and it has
        > been a real inspiration to me. Much more than that. It
        > has given my study, consideration and understanding of
        > dhamma the real boost and impetus they badly needed.
        > In fact it has been the best boost they've had in many
        > years.
        >
        > I'd like to sincerely thank all of you for your
        > contributions and interest in the list. Even those of
        > you who prefer to lie low (or are too busy to do
        > otherwise), thank you for just being with us and
        > listening in.
        >
        > Wishing everyone a very happy and healthy New Year and
        > may the consideration of dhamma prompted on the list
        > be a condition for panna to develop.
        >
        > Best wishes and metta,
        > Sarah

        Dear Sarah, and dhamma friends,

        Happy anniversary to the list and all its members! Thanks and
        anumodana with you, Jonothan and Robert for starting it and keeping
        the discussions going as well as contributing to the beneficial study
        of the dhamma. It has been a wonderful place to meet friends with
        common interests with whom to discuss this most intricate matter,
        which is not so easily found elsewhere. May all the supreme kusala
        the Buddha intended in his teachings benefit all those who study,
        this holiday season and always,

        Amara
      • gayank@tpi.techprov.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 29, 2000
          Dear Friends,

          I wish the group a happy birthday , a happy anniversary , a happy new year

          lets keep on helping each other do what is needed to be done , to finish what is
          needed to be finished.

          Dear moderators,

          Thank you very much for pioneering this and serving the purpose, so that these
          dynamically like-minds of a group who have been mothers,fathers,brothers,sisters
          of each other for countless times could have yet another chance to help each
          other.

          Rgds

          =^-^=
          _/\_
        • m. nease
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 29, 2000
            Dear Sarah and Friends,

            --- Sarah Procter Abbott <sarahdhhk@...>
            wrote:

            It would be difficult to overstate the importance of
            this list to me in the last year and, for that matter,
            in this life. With heartfelt thanks to my admirable
            friends, here are a couple of anniversary presents:

            "I have heard that on one occasion the Blessed One was
            living among the Sakyans. Now there is a Sakyan town
            named Sakkara. There Ven. Ananda went to the Blessed
            One and, on arrival, having bowed down to the Blessed
            One, sat to one side. As he was sitting there, Ven.
            Ananda said to the Blessed One, "This is half of the
            holy life, lord: having admirable people as friends,
            companions, & colleagues."

            "Don't say that, Ananda. Don't say that. Having
            admirable people as friends, companions, & colleagues
            is actually the whole of the holy life. When a monk
            has admirable people as friends, companions, &
            colleagues, he can be expected to develop & pursue the
            noble eightfold path."

            http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/samyutta/sn45-2.html

            However, having just endured an american presidential
            election(!), I feel obliged to give equal time to a
            cautionary counterpoint (since 'no one's complaining
            about the lobha'--thanks, Sarah!)(I prefer the PTS
            translation, 'Born of Affection'):

            "Sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair are
            born from one who is dear, come springing from one who
            is dear."

            http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/majjhima/mn87.html

            I just want to say thanks to all of you (especially
            Robert, who introduced us) for being my 'admirable
            friends' for who knows how long? and to say, 'Happy No
            Year'--after all, what's a year but a concept?

            Cheers!

            mike

            http://photos.yahoo.com/
          • amara chay
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 29, 2000
              > 'Happy No
              > Year'--after all, what's a year but a concept?

              Dear Mike,

              And happy no year, no century and no millenium to you too, Sir!

              Amara
            • m. nease
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 3, 2001
                Well-said, Sir.