Bhikkhu Bodhi's reply

  • Sarah
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1 12:54 AM
      Dear Larry, Jim, Chris & All,

      I wrote to Bhikkhu Bodhi about the Visuddhimagga copyright point , Jim’s
      qu and a couple of other matters. I’d like to share the relevant parts of
      his response:

      Copyright
      =======
      BB: “There is no need to worry about copyright since you are only using
      extracts for purpose of discussion. Thus all you need do is give the
      source reference.”

      Sutta Nipata Comy
      =================
      JIM wrote 1.:

      “Suttanipaata-a.t.thakathaa, pp. 46-52 on the
      Khaggavisaa.nasutta.
      Theragaathaa-a.t.thakathaa, pp. 1-19 on the
      introductory verses.

      The passages contain a lot of valuable information
      about mahaabodhisattas, paccekabodhisattas, and
      saavakabodhisattas. And there is a conversation between the Buddha and
      Ananda in the SnA passage about the time it takes for the first two types
      to become a buddha.
      *******
      JIM wrote 2:

      “I don't think PTS would publish a translation unless it was the entire
      commentary. I
      thought that maybe BPS might have something in the way of translated
      extracts. It seems to me that these passages are hardly known in the
      English-speaking world. I have yet to study them in detail but from what
      I've read so far it's like a bodhisatta doctrine being laid out in quite
      an impressive way and a good response to some of those Mahayana critics.
      I think you will be familiar with some of the material
      eg. the 8 conditions needed to become a Mahaabodhisatta as in
      the Buddhava.msa, but there is also the 5 conditions for a
      paccekabodhisatta and 2 (adhikaara and chandataa) for the
      saavakabodhisatta. It would make for a worthwhile translation project
      sometime.
      ****************
      BB replies:

      “I have seen this passage and agree it would be interesting to read in
      translation. I don't think it is available anywhere in English. Perhaps if
      I can find some time I will try to translate it.”
      Sarah:

      I mentioned that many of us here were wishing him well with his various
      projects including the AN comy. Unfortunately, he continues to suffer
      from severe headaches at Bodhi monastery. He referred to these
      difficulties in an interview given just before we saw him in Hong Kong
      last year, but he asked me not to pass it round until it had been
      published as it now has. Christine, I’m sure you and others will enjoy
      reading it if you haven’t already:

      “Climbing to the Top of the Mountain”
      http://www.dharma.org/ij/archives/2002b/bhikkhu_bodhi.htm
      It is published in the American Buddhist journal "Insight," published by
      the Barre Center for Buddhist Studies.

      As B.Bodhi just mentioned to me, his headache condition “remains
      impervious to every means of treatment. It is a major obstacle to my work,
      teaching, and meditation, but it is likely nothing short of a miracle will
      reverse it.” It seems that the benefit of Dr Ma’s treatment was very
      short-lived too.

      I also received a letter today from a friend in Bangkok. whom several
      people know, who continues to have rounds of chemotherapy with strong
      side-effects for her cancerous condition. Although she’s so weak and
      unable to go out much, she continues to listen to Dhamma tapes and reflect
      wisely. As the Comy passage I quoted the other day said, we’ve had
      lifetime afer lifetime of being afflicted by various diseases and
      ailments, but very rare is the lifetime that we have an opportunity to
      read, hear, consider and follow the teachings of the Buddha.

      I also appreciated that with all their other preoccupations and health
      difficulties, both this friend and B.Bodhi had been concerned about us and
      others during SARS. It’s wonderful to hear examples of metta and kindness
      from people at these times.

      ======