Way 83, Consciousness

  • LBIDD@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2003
      Commentary on the Satipatthana Sutta, "The Way of Mindfulness" trans. &
      ed. Soma Thera, Commentary, Buddhaghosa Thera, Subcommentary (tika),
      Dhammapala Thera. http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/bps/misc/wayof.html

      The Contemplation of Consciousness

      After explaining the ninefold Arousing of Mindfulness in regard to
      feeling, the Master began the explanation of the contemplation of
      consciousness in the sixteenfold way with the words, "And, how, o
      bhikkhus."

      In this section there is no reference to supramundane truth because in
      the sifting of things thoroughly to see their transient, pain-laden and
      soulless nature only the mundane things are handled, and so there is in
      this matter of penetrative knowledge of things no bringing together of
      mundane and supramundane things.

      Here follows the elucidation of terms mentioned in this section:

      Saragam cittam = "The consciousness with lust." Karmically unwholesome
      eight conscious states of the plane of existence of sense-experience.
      These are together with greed in the sense of springing from it.

      Vitaragam cittam = "The consciousness without lust." Karmically
      wholesome and karmically neutral mundane states of consciousness.

      The two spontaneous and non-spontaneous conscious states karmically
      unwholesome, accompanied by grief, linked to resentment, and springing
      from hate; the conscious state karmically unwholesome, accompanied by
      neither pain nor pleasure, linked to doubt and springing from ignorance;
      and the conscious state karmically unwholesome, accompanied by neither
      pain nor pleasure, linked to agitation, springing from ignorance --
      these four do not associate with the consciousness-with-lust-division or
      the consciousness-without-lust division.

      Sodosam cittam = "The consciousness with hate." The two conscious
      states, karmically unwholesome, accompanied, by grief (mentioned above).

      Vitadosam cittam = "The consciousness without hate." Karmically
      wholesome and karmically neutral mundane states of consciousness.

      The other ten karmically unwholesome conscious states of the plane of
      existence of sense-experience do not associate with either the
      consciousness-with-hate division or the consciousness-without-hate
      division.

      Samoham cittam = "The consciousness with ignorance." The conscious
      state, karmically unwholesome, linked to doubt (mentioned above), and
      the conscious state, karmically unwholesome, linked to agitation
      (mentioned above).

      Because, indeed, ignorance arises in all karmically bad states, the
      other karmically bad states too should be mentioned, here. In just this
      division all the twelve karmically bad, unwholesome or unskillful
      conscious states are included.

      Vitamoham cittam = "The consciousness without ignorance." Karmically
      wholesome and karmically neutral mundane states of consciousness.

      Sankhittam cittam = "The shrunken state of consciousness." The conscious
      state fallen into sloth and torpor. That is called the shrivelled or
      contracted state of mind.

      Vikkhittam cittam = "The distracted state of consciousness." The
      conscious state accompanied by agitation. That is called the dissipated
      mind.

      Mahaggatam cittam = "The state of consciousness become great." The
      conscious state of the sensuous-ethereal [rupavacara] plane of existence
      and of the purely ethereal [arupavacara] plane of existence.

      Amahaggatam cittam = "The state of consciousness not become great." The
      conscious state of the plane of existence of sense-experience.

      Sauttaram cittam = "The state of consciousness with some other mental
      state superior to it." That refers to any conscious state belonging to
      the plane of sense-experience.

      Anuttaram cittam = "The state of consciousness with no other mental
      state superior to it." That refers to any conscious state belonging to
      the sensuous-ethereal [rupavacara] or the purely ethereal [arupavacara]
      plane.

      Samahitam cittam = "The quieted state of consciousness." It refers to
      the conscious state of him who has full or partial absorption.

      Asamahitam cittam = "The state of consciousness not quieted." It refers
      to the conscious state without either absorption.

      Vimuttam cittam = "the freed state of consciousness." That refers to the
      conscious state, emancipated partially from defilements through
      systematic or radical reflection, or to the conscious state, emancipated
      through the suppression of the defilements in absorption. Both these
      kinds of emancipation are temporary.

      Avimuttam cittam = "The unfreed state of consciousness." That refers to
      any conscious state without either kind of temporary emancipation.

      In the mundane path [lokiya magga] of the beginner there is no place for
      the supramundane kinds of emancipation through extirpation [samuccheda],
      stilling [patipassaddha] and final release [nissarana].
    • nina van gorkom
      Message 2 of 3 , May 2, 2003
        Dear Larry and others,
        This part is very important, because some people doubt whether akusala citta
        can be object of mindfulness and right understanding. It can and it should,
        otherwise we shall always take it for self and then it can never be
        eradicated. This shows that vipassana can and should be developed in daily
        life. Daily life is the test for our understanding.
        Nina.

        Message 3 of 3 , May 2, 2003
          Hi Nina,

          I agree akusala citta is definitely an object of mindfulness and clear
          comprehension. Indeed it is often the only kind of citta available for
          inspection. Just by seeing the impermanence of desire or conceit we can
          see that they are not self. Furthermore, nothing ever arises by itself.
          Whatever arises is part of a larger whole and that whole is without
          essence. So if desire arises we don't need to analyze desire into parts.
          Rather, we can see that desire is part of the larger whole of citta,
          cetasika, and object or the larger whole of the 5 khandhas. Because
          these parts arise dependently they all partake of the characteristic of
          anatta.

          I was just thinking today that we never get what we want because what we
          want is empty of essence and, really, there is no one here to get it.

          Larry