[dsg] Re: Buddhaghosa

  • smallchap
    Message 1 of 565 , Apr 1, 2003
      Dear Nina,

      --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, nina van gorkom <nilo@e...>
      wrote:
      > op 01-04-2003 10:00 schreef smallchap op smallchap@y...:
      >
      > Dear smallchap,
      > > --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, nina van gorkom
      <nilo@e...>
      > > wrote:
      > > Even when someone has
      > >> reached stages of insight, there are still the imperfections of
      > > insight.
      > >> Among them clinging.
      > >
      > > Clinging is present even for one who has attained the 3rd stage of
      > > enlightenment, Anagami.
      > N: Yes. But as to the imperfections of insight it is different.
      Here there
      > is clinging to insight that prevents that person to go on to the
      following
      > stages. He clings to the calm or the assurance the first stages of
      tender
      > insight have given. It stops the progress unless he sees these
      imperfections
      > as conditioned realities and he can be mindful of them and develop
      panna
      > further.
      > Nina.
      --------

      Understood. Thank you!

      smallchap
    • Sarah
      Message 565 of 565 , Jun 3, 2004
        Hi Christine,

        --- christine_forsyth <cforsyth@...> wrote: > Hello All,

        > On another list, someone posted: "If the Venerable Buddhagosa was an
        > arahat then why did he at the end of the Visuddhi Magga make a
        > sincere wish to be reborn at the time of the final fading away of
        > the Buddha sassana?"
        I don't recall anyone having suggested here that Buddhaghosa was an
        arahant. An ariyan yes, but I have no reason to doubt the postcript given
        in the Vism and other commentaries, even if added.