Re: More on Forest and Lone Dwelling

  • nidive <nidive@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 139 , Feb 1, 2003
      Hi James,

      > His method was to develop concentration and then to direct that
      > concentration to the inherent transience of the aggregates;
      > which is vipassana meditation.

      Doesn't that correspond to the first method described in

      http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/anguttara/an04-170.html

      "There is the case where a monk has developed insight preceded by
      tranquillity. As he develops insight preceded by tranquillity, the
      path is born. He follows that path, develops it, pursues it. As he
      follows the path, developing it & pursuing it -- his fetters are
      abandoned, his obsessions destroyed.

      What about the other three methods as described by the Buddha?

      And by concentration, do you mean the jhanic level of concentration?

      Regards,
      NEO Swee Boon
    • philip
      Message 139 of 139 , Aug 24, 2013
        Dear Group

        From the Useful Posts, Nina on accumulations. I quote one bit, which * should* be pretty obvious:

        >>> the truth in one
        > > lifetime is carried to the next; it doesn't go away. That is why
        > > any amount of meditation, even for five minutes a day, is beneficial
        > > because it will accumulate insight.
        > N:Yes, life after life, it does not go away. Unfortunately also as regards
        > lobha. Life after life, it does not go away.

        Please enjoy the rest of the post, very very rich:

        Phil