[DhammaStudyGroup] Hello!

  • Mike Potter
    Message 1 of 29 , Mar 22, 2000
      Hi!

      I just joined this group and want to introduce myself. I've read many
      of Nina van Gorkom's books and find her writing to be very clear. I've
      recommended her books to many others. Alan Weller has been helpful in
      allowing me to post a chapter from Abhidhamma in Daily Life on my
      website, The Ganges Sangha, where I have collected a number of
      resources on Abhidhamma studies. I'm in the process of getting a
      wonderful article written by Rupert Gethin about the Bhavanga and
      Rebirth which I hope to post on the site as soon as I can get
      permission to do so. There are extensive offerings there and I invite
      you to explore it (http://personal.mem.bellsouth.net/~mikep/)

      I enjoyed Robert's article about meditation techniques and mindfulness.
      It was helpful to be reminded that even when there is no understanding
      there is an opportunity to understand that, too. :-)

      With metta,

      Mike Potter
    • amara chay
      Message 2 of 29 , Mar 23, 2000
        >I've read many
        >of Nina van Gorkom's books and find her writing to be very clear. I've
        >recommended her books to many others. Alan Weller has been helpful in
        >allowing me to post a chapter from Abhidhamma in Daily Life on my
        >website, The Ganges Sangha, where I have collected a number of
        >resources on Abhidhamma studies. I'm in the process of getting a
        >wonderful article written by Rupert Gethin about the Bhavanga and
        >Rebirth which I hope to post on the site as soon as I can get
        >permission to do so. There are extensive offerings there and I invite
        >you to explore it (http://personal.mem.bellsouth.net/~mikep/)
        >
        >I enjoyed Robert's article about meditation techniques and mindfulness.
        > It was helpful to be reminded that even when there is no understanding
        >there is an opportunity to understand that, too. :-)

        Hi, mike,

        Welcome! I am in charge of the Dhamma Study and Support Foundation's
        website, <http://www.DhammaStudy.com> and fellow member of this discussion
        group. If you like books by Nina you will really enjoy visiting our
        website, we have quite a few plus several articles, and will be adding some
        more. We also have several parts of Sujin Boriharnwanaket's masterpiece,
        'Summary of Paramatthadhamma', in the advanced section which contain
        detailed explanations about the citta, plus a brand new article called
        'Kammasakata-nana' which I highly recommend if you are interested in the
        bhavanga citta and rebirth, precisely. In fact I look forward to hearing
        your comments about the whole thing, including the children's section (just
        a trial run!), for my part I will immediately visit your site!

        I look forward to exchanging our views on dhamma points also,
        Amara
      • Jonothan Abbott
        Message 3 of 29 , Mar 24, 2000
          Mike,
          Welcome to the list. I will certainly check out your website. We look
          forward to your seeing your comments or questions on the list.
          Jonothan

          >From: "Mike Potter" <mikep@...>
          >To: dhammastudygroup@...
          >Subject: [DhammaStudyGroup] Hello!
          >Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 18:51:38 -0800
          >

          >Hi!
          >
          >I just joined this group and want to introduce myself. I've read many
          >of Nina van Gorkom's books and find her writing to be very clear. I've
          >recommended her books to many others. Alan Weller has been helpful in
          >allowing me to post a chapter from Abhidhamma in Daily Life on my
          >website, The Ganges Sangha, where I have collected a number of
          >resources on Abhidhamma studies. I'm in the process of getting a
          >wonderful article written by Rupert Gethin about the Bhavanga and
          >Rebirth which I hope to post on the site as soon as I can get
          >permission to do so. There are extensive offerings there and I invite
          >you to explore it (http://personal.mem.bellsouth.net/~mikep/)
          >
          >I enjoyed Robert's article about meditation techniques and mindfulness.
          > It was helpful to be reminded that even when there is no understanding
          >there is an opportunity to understand that, too. :-)
          >
          >With metta,
          >
          >Mike Potter

          >@Backup- Protect and Access your data any time, any where on the net.
          >Try @Backup FREE and recieve 300 points from mypoints.com Install now:

          >-- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=dhammastudygroup&m=1

        • Robert Kirkpatrick
          Message 4 of 29 , Mar 24, 2000
            Dear Mike,
            Im very glad to see you join up. I've actually been
            expecting you as I saw your posting on the Pali group
            a couple of weeks ago where you referred to Zolag and
            Nina. I could tell you were diligent and would wonder
            about the cryptic DSDG on the Dhamma study site.
            And thanks for putting links to your web site. I saw
            the book recommendations - for Cetasikas and
            Abhidhamma In daily life-from you and another of your
            friends.

            Dear Jonathon,
            It is so true how our bodies are just as fragile as
            any other wordly condition.
            Consider seeing. We are used to seeing, take it for
            granted. But each moment is conditioned. Any words we
            use to describe the nature of realities �impermanent,
            momentary, temporary, instant by instant- cannot
            convey the rapidity of the arising and passing away.
            No one can slow this process down- it happens
            continuosly whether we are in the human realm, or
            apaya or animal or even Gods.
            For a moment of seeing to arise there must be cakkhu
            pasada (seeing base). This is the extremely refined
            rupa that arises in the center of the eye. This
            special rupa is the result of kamma done in some
            previous life ( it could be kamma done aeons ago). But
            it only lasts for the briefest moment before falling
            away . The reason we can keep seeing is that at this
            moment the force of the kamma is still working to
            continue replacing the cakkhu pasada. The visible eye,
            the eyeball, and the surrounding matter, the rest of
            the body, are also conditioned by different conditions
            - not only kamma- and these rupas too only last for a
            moment before vanishing forever.
            Thus, it seems to me, when I reflect about this, that
            it is surprising that the body can keep going at all.
            No one could control such an intricate mass of
            fluxing conditions.
            We live in a happy realm so we want these conditions
            to continue. Those in apaya wish for the conditions
            to cease. And so samsara goes on.
            Robert

            http://click.egroups.com/1/2345/5/_/252904/_/953779914/

            > -- Create a poll/survey for your group!
            > --

            http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=dhammastudygroup&m=1

            http://im.yahoo.com
          • Sukinder Narula
            Message 5 of 29 , Oct 8, 2000
              Dear Jonothan,Sarah and other members,
              I am new to this list, my name is Sukin. I have been interested in
              buddhism for quite a few years, but did nothing more than read a
              little bit here and a little there,up until six months ago when I
              attended a 10-day meditation course. From that time on, I had been
              looking for dhamma friends to associate with having come to realize
              how 'negative' my life had been. My search ended, at least for the
              mean time, when last month I came upon Robert on another e-discussion
              group and he introduced me to this group. I live in Bangkok and hence
              I have had the additional good fortune to meet Khun Sujin in person,
              and to take part in the weekly discussion held here with some serious
              students of abhidhamma.
              I had never opened an abhidhamma manual before this past four weeks,
              my understanding hence is so little that I literally had nothing to
              say with regard to the posts submitted.Everyone is so much more
              knowledgable and wise than I am. However what I can say here and
              now,is that 'the truth sets you free', and some of the posts here
              have managed to loosen the grip of false beliefs that have been
              binding me and of which I had not been aware.
              Hope to catch up with you all,so that I may make best use of your
              knowledge and understanding, because I do not know if and when my
              kusala kamma will run out, and I may be reborn as a 'hungry ghost'
              again. Just kidding!
              May panna abound,
              Sukin.
            • Robert Kirkpatrick
              Message 6 of 29 , Oct 8, 2000
                Dear Sukin,
                I was just thinking of you today and was planning to
                ask Amara if you had been coming to the talks. I am so
                pleased to hear that you are finding the discussions
                with Khun sujin, as well as this list, helpful. You
                have the great advantage of living in bangkok and can
                meet with khun sujin and other wise beings. Do you
                speak Thai? Then you can listen even more and also
                discuss with other foundation teachers like Acharn
                Somporn, a noted pali scholar (a senior member of the
                Government commitee that translate Pali texts into
                Thai), acharn santi and others.
                The last month has been really auspicious with the new
                members joining. Everyone is so keen to learn and
                contribute.
                Please post as often as you can. If you make a few
                mistakes it is fine as we all learn from the
                corrections that other members will make (and that
                applies to everyone).I make a few myself. In december
                you can meet several of the list memebers who are
                coming to bangkok (not me unfortunately).
                Robert

                http://photos.yahoo.com/
              • m. nease
                Message 7 of 29 , Oct 8, 2000
                  Dear Sukin,

                  I'm in the same boat! I also came to this group by
                  way of Robert's brilliant posts on another list, and
                  I'm also pretty new to abhidhamma. I'm quite
                  determined to learn it, though! I'm planning to go to
                  Bangkok to this end next June. Hope to meet you then.
                  In the meantime, I look forward to hearing from you
                  on the list.

                  Anumodanaa,

                  mn

                  http://photos.yahoo.com/
                • amara chay
                  Message 8 of 29 , Oct 8, 2000
                    > Hope to catch up with you all,so that I may make best use of your
                    > knowledge and understanding, because I do not know if and when my
                    > kusala kamma will run out, and I may be reborn as a 'hungry ghost'
                    > again. Just kidding!
                    > May panna abound,
                    > Sukin.

                    Hello!

                    I'm glad you joined the discussions, you and Betty are the brightest
                    new students of the DSSFBED group! I'm sure you will have many
                    interesting questions and comments to contribute, and look forward to
                    reading them soon,

                    Amara
                  • axtran@hotmail.com
                    Message 9 of 29 , Oct 8, 2000
                      Dear Sukin,

                      Hello, Sukin. I'm new here, too. I'm looking forward to "see"
                      you more in the forum. We're very fortunate that we're born as
                      humans and as Buddhists, aren't we?

                      Metta,
                      Alex Tran
                      ====================
                      --- In dhammastudygroup@egroups.com, "Sukinder Narula" <amarint@l...>
                      wrote:
                      > Dear Jonothan,Sarah and other members,
                      > I am new to this list, my name is Sukin.
                    • Bongkojpriya (Betty) Yugala
                      Message 10 of 29 , Oct 8, 2000
                        Dear K. Sukin,
                        A big welcome to the group. It has been a wonderful experience for me to
                        have you with us. For, when Achaan asked me to explain the basics to you, it
                        was a terrific experience for me to test my own understanding. Do not feel
                        intimidated: we are all learners and come to the group with thousands upon
                        thousands of lifetimes of accumulations of vipaka to unfold. Therefore,
                        while one of us might understand A, B,C, another might understand D, E, F
                        which is not understood by the first person. So, we can each reinforce the
                        others along the path as Robert so brilliantly does each time he sends out
                        an e-mail. By the way, kusala kamma (do you mean vipaka?) will not run out
                        unless you no longer perform wholesome actions (sobhana hetus), which is
                        highly unlikely if you are making the effort to study Dhamma!

                        See you when next we all meet.

                        With metta,
                        Betty
                        __________________________
                        Mom Bongkojpriya (Betty) Yugala
                        38 Soi 41 Phaholyothin Road
                        Bangkok 10900, Thailand
                        tel: 662-579-1050; 661-826-7160
                        beyugala@...

                        > I'm in the same boat! I also came to this group by
                        > way of Robert's brilliant posts on another list, and
                        > I'm also pretty new to abhidhamma. I'm quite
                        > determined to learn it, though! I'm planning to go to
                        > Bangkok to this end next June. Hope to meet you then.
                        > In the meantime, I look forward to hearing from you
                        > on the list.
                        >
                        > Anumodanaa,
                        >
                        > mn
                        > --- Sukinder Narula <amarint@...> wrote:
                        > > Dear Jonothan,Sarah and other members,
                        > > I am new to this list, my name is Sukin. I have been
                        > > interested in
                        > > buddhism for quite a few years, but did nothing more
                        > > than read a
                        > > little bit here and a little there,up until six
                        > > months ago when I
                        > > attended a 10-day meditation course. From that time
                        > > on, I had been
                        > > looking for dhamma friends to associate with having
                        > > come to realize
                        > > how 'negative' my life had been. My search ended, at
                        > > least for the
                        > > mean time, when last month I came upon Robert on
                        > > another e-discussion
                        > > group and he introduced me to this group. I live in
                        > > Bangkok and hence
                        > > I have had the additional good fortune to meet Khun
                        > > Sujin in person,
                        > > and to take part in the weekly discussion held here
                        > > with some serious
                        > > students of abhidhamma.
                        > > I had never opened an abhidhamma manual before this
                        > > past four weeks,
                        > > my understanding hence is so little that I literally
                        > > had nothing to
                        > > say with regard to the posts submitted.Everyone is
                        > > so much more
                        > > knowledgable and wise than I am. However what I can
                        > > say here and
                        > > now,is that 'the truth sets you free', and some of
                        > > the posts here
                        > > have managed to loosen the grip of false beliefs
                        > > that have been
                        > > binding me and of which I had not been aware.
                        > > Hope to catch up with you all,so that I may make
                        > > best use of your
                        > > knowledge and understanding, because I do not know
                        > > if and when my
                        > > kusala kamma will run out, and I may be reborn as a
                        > > 'hungry ghost'
                        > > again. Just kidding!
                        > > May panna abound,
                        > > Sukin.

                        > http://photos.yahoo.com/

                      • Sarah Procter Abbott
                        Message 11 of 29 , Oct 8, 2000
                          Dear Sukin,

                          Good to hear from you and welcome to the list!

                          Yes, I find having dhamma friends is invaluable....we can give each other
                          reminders, disagree, share knowledge and sometimes have a good laugh! (I
                          laughed when I read how Robert was sleeping peacefully while others were
                          traching down the earthquake and then the 'What khun Sujin Would Say
                          comments with Alex!)

                          It seems that the regular English discussions in Bangkok and this list have
                          started up at just the right time for you and it's good that you're not
                          feeling too overwhelmed by all the terminology and detail. Don't hesitate to
                          ask basic questions or make simple comments (often the best!).

                          If you'd like to elaborate on the 'false beliefs that have been binding me
                          and of which I had not been aware' and what exactly has helped, that would
                          be interesting.

                          Yes, we never know when it'll be time for rebirth as a 'hungry
                          ghost'...let's keep studying!!

                          Sarah

                          p.s. Is Sukin or Sukinder a male or female name?

                          Jonothan and I'll be in Bkk for 2 days before and 2 days after the Cambodia
                          trip (I forget the dates).

                          Robert, sorry we'll be missing AGAIN. The only good thing is that at least
                          you'll be around for the list when we're in Cambodia...not sure that
                          internet cafes have hit Angkor Wat yet...

                          >Dear Jonothan,Sarah and other members,
                          >I am new to this list, my name is Sukin. I have been interested in
                          >buddhism for quite a few years, but did nothing more than read a
                          >little bit here and a little there,up until six months ago when I
                          >attended a 10-day meditation course. From that time on, I had been
                          >looking for dhamma friends to associate with having come to realize
                          >how 'negative' my life had been. My search ended, at least for the
                          >mean time, when last month I came upon Robert on another e-discussion
                          >group and he introduced me to this group. I live in Bangkok and hence
                          >I have had the additional good fortune to meet Khun Sujin in person,
                          >and to take part in the weekly discussion held here with some serious
                          >students of abhidhamma.
                          >I had never opened an abhidhamma manual before this past four weeks,
                          >my understanding hence is so little that I literally had nothing to
                          >say with regard to the posts submitted.Everyone is so much more
                          >knowledgable and wise than I am. However what I can say here and
                          >now,is that 'the truth sets you free', and some of the posts here
                          >have managed to loosen the grip of false beliefs that have been
                          >binding me and of which I had not been aware.
                          >Hope to catch up with you all,so that I may make best use of your
                          >knowledge and understanding, because I do not know if and when my
                          >kusala kamma will run out, and I may be reborn as a 'hungry ghost'
                          >again. Just kidding!
                          >May panna abound,
                          >Sukin.

                          http://profiles.msn.com
                        • shinlin
                          Message 12 of 29 , Oct 9, 2000
                            Dear K.Sukin,
                            Anumodana to your kusula vipaka on hearing the dhamma.
                            Dear K. Robert,
                            Anumodana to your kusula kamma in giving the dhamma to a friend.
                            with metta,
                            Shin

                            | I am new to this list, my name is Sukin. I have been interested in
                            | buddhism for quite a few years, but did nothing more than read a
                            | little bit here and a little there,up until six months ago when I
                            | attended a 10-day meditation course. From that time on, I had been
                            | looking for dhamma friends to associate with having come to realize
                            | how 'negative' my life had been. My search ended, at least for the
                            | mean time, when last month I came upon Robert on another e-discussion
                            | group and he introduced me to this group. I live in Bangkok and hence
                            | I have had the additional good fortune to meet Khun Sujin in person,
                            | and to take part in the weekly discussion held here with some serious
                            | students of abhidhamma.
                            | I had never opened an abhidhamma manual before this past four weeks,
                            | my understanding hence is so little that I literally had nothing to
                            | say with regard to the posts submitted.Everyone is so much more
                            | knowledgable and wise than I am. However what I can say here and
                            | now,is that 'the truth sets you free', and some of the posts here
                            | have managed to loosen the grip of false beliefs that have been
                            | binding me and of which I had not been aware.
                            | Hope to catch up with you all,so that I may make best use of your
                            | knowledge and understanding, because I do not know if and when my
                            | kusala kamma will run out, and I may be reborn as a 'hungry ghost'
                            | again. Just kidding!
                            | May panna abound,
                            | Sukin.

                          • Star Kid
                            Message 13 of 29 , Oct 31, 2003
                              Dear Kom,
                              I hope you would still remember me. I am
                              Janice! It is great talking to you again. I have a few
                              questions about Buddhism.

                              1:Was the Kamma a person when it was still
                              alive?

                              2:Is he really related to the Buddhism?

                              3:Does the Buiddha talk to you when you pray to
                              him?
                              Metta,
                              Janice Chung (12 years old)

                            • Kom Tukovinit
                              Message 14 of 29 , Nov 28, 2003
                                Hello, Start Kid Janice,

                                Of course, I remember you. It's good to be talking to you again too, after
                                a long break ;-). I am sorry I din't get back to you sooner, I had been in
                                Thailand for about 4 1/2 weeks, and didn't check email that often.

                                Kamma is not a person. Kamma is the intention (to do something). For
                                example, when you give to another person, you have to have an intention to
                                give for the giving to happen. The intention is (good) kamma. When you
                                lie, you have to have an intention to lie. That intention is (bad) kamma.
                                Kamma is a cause: it will give results in the future. Good kamma brings
                                good results, and bad kamma brings bad results. If we don't like bad
                                results, we'd better have good intention to other beings (good kamma).

                                The Buddha taught about kamma in details, most likely more than in other
                                religion that also teaches about kamma.

                                No, all is left of the Buddha are his teaching, and all the students that
                                follow his teachings. He cannot talk to anybody as there is nothing left of
                                him except for bone fragments and other relics which are often stored in
                                pagodas. Mrs. Abbot just came back from a visit to Burma where she visited
                                a famous pagoda that stores the hairs of the Buddha.

                                I am glad that you are still interested in learning more about Buddhism. It
                                is a teaching that has been so helpful to myself.

                                Metta,

                                kom
                              • kanchuu dhakal
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jun 27, 2006
                                  Dear Friends,

                                  Namaste!

                                  I am Nitesh Dhakal from Nepal.

                                  I was looking for Abhidhamma studies in Google and I found this group.

                                  I am interested in learning Abhidhamma. I hope with help from all the group members, I can learn some..

                                  Sincerely,

                                  Nitesh

                                • tanyatipch
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Mar 11, 2008
                                    Hi all,
                                    I'm not sure if anyone still remembers me, but it's Jan Chearavanont, one of the StarKids
                                    from many years ago. I stumbled across this group while looking up Buddhist related
                                    forums. You could imagine my surpise when I found the archive of messages sent back
                                    and fourth dating back to 2002!

                                    While scrolling down the many months of messages, I finally found a message I wrote to
                                    James. As a 17 year old, re-reading e-mails I wrote when I was 11, I'm not going to lie, felt
                                    strange. Before today, I almost completly forgot the messages I sent, but while reading
                                    what I wrote, back in 2002, I could remember exactly how I felt and what I was thinking.

                                    So, I feel it only makes sense to re-introduce myself, not as 'starkid', but as Tanya. (I
                                    began using my real name "Tanyatip" a bit before high school, and from Tanyatip, it was
                                    shortened for everyone's sake to Tanya) I'm half Thai half Korean, and currently a Junior at
                                    Choate Rosemary Hall, a boarding school in Connecticut

                                    I was born under a Buddhist household, but never participated much in rituals and
                                    prayers. My parents never enforced the religion to me, in fact they never mentioned it! It
                                    was pretty much just implied.

                                    Frankly, as of now I don't really have anything profound or even the least bit insightful to
                                    say. Looking through the topic headings, there are so many terms I'm unfamilliar with! (I'll
                                    have to go figure out what things mean) BUT, hopefully in a week or so I'll have more to
                                    contribute with.

                                    -Tanya

                                    PS: Mrs. Abbott, do you still remember me? How have you been?!
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Mar 11, 2008
                                      Hi Tamya (Jan), (James, Betty, Chris, Betty, Howard, Nina & all)

                                      You've really made my day!!!!

                                      Of course I remember you well (also, your brother Kane - say a big 'hi' to
                                      him too).

                                      It's great to see you see you still write beautifully too. You were the
                                      'Starkid' who started all the letters to and from Starkids when you wrote
                                      after your teacher's death in the Bali bombing:

                                      Many of the letters addressed to you all can be found in 'useful posts' in
                                      the files of DSG under 'children - letters to'.

                                      I'm also very interested to see that you have an interest in Buddhism.
                                      Yes, we'd love to have your contributions and don't worry about all the
                                      terms.....slowly they'll begin to make more sense, like doing a big jigsaw
                                      puzzle...one piece at a time:-).

                                      Why not tell us what you were looking for or what you found of interest on
                                      the Buddhist-related forums, including here? Have you read any more books
                                      on Buddhist teachings?

                                      I'm very interested to hear that you are now studying in Connecticut. That
                                      must have been quite a change. Do you have any comparative religion
                                      courses or options for projects on Buddhist-related themes?

                                      Do you still come back to Hong Kong (or Bangkok) for holidays? If so,
                                      perhaps we can meet up and invite any of the other ex-Star Kids along. We
                                      still live in Star Street.

                                      James, Christine and others who wrote to you before, will also be very
                                      glad to hear from you again.

                                      p.s. Just 'Sarah' is fine now:-).
                                      ================================

                                      --- tanyatipch <tanyatipch@...> wrote:

                                      > Hi all,
                                      > I'm not sure if anyone still remembers me, but it's Jan Chearavanont,
                                      > one of the StarKids
                                      > from many years ago. I stumbled across this group while looking up
                                      > Buddhist related
                                      > forums. You could imagine my surpise when I found the archive of
                                      > messages sent back
                                      > and fourth dating back to 2002!

                                    • buddhatrue
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Mar 11, 2008
                                        Hi Tanya,

                                        --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "tanyatipch"
                                        <tanyatipch@...> wrote:

                                        > While scrolling down the many months of messages, I finally found
                                        a message I wrote to
                                        > James.

                                        James: Good to see you back again!

                                        As a 17 year old, re-reading e-mails I wrote when I was 11, I'm not
                                        going to lie, felt
                                        > strange.

                                        James: Well, I'm not going to lie- now I feel old! LOL! :-)

                                        Before today, I almost completly forgot the messages I sent, but
                                        while reading
                                        > what I wrote, back in 2002, I could remember exactly how I felt
                                        and what I was thinking.

                                        > So, I feel it only makes sense to re-introduce myself, not
                                        as 'starkid', but as Tanya. (I
                                        > began using my real name "Tanyatip" a bit before high school, and
                                        from Tanyatip, it was
                                        > shortened for everyone's sake to Tanya) I'm half Thai half Korean,
                                        and currently a Junior at
                                        > Choate Rosemary Hall, a boarding school in Connecticut

                                        James: I'm so glad to hear that you are continuing with your studies
                                        at what sounds like a good school! Please feel free to post your
                                        reflections on your views of Buddhism when you were a Starkid and
                                        now. I would be interested to know.

                                        > Frankly, as of now I don't really have anything profound or even
                                        the least bit insightful to
                                        > say. Looking through the topic headings, there are so many terms
                                        I'm unfamilliar with! (I'll
                                        > have to go figure out what things mean) BUT, hopefully in a week
                                        or so I'll have more to
                                        > contribute with.

                                        James: That's good. Don't be intimidated by the Pali terms. I will
                                        look forward to reading your posts in the future.

                                        > -Tanya

                                        Metta,
                                        James
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Mar 11, 2008
                                          Oops!

                                          --- sarah abbott <sarahprocterabbott@...> wrote:

                                          > Hi Tamya (Jan),

                                          That should have been ***Tanya***!

                                          S.
                                          p.s You'll soon learn that I don't practice what I preach in terms of
                                          checking my work carefully here....always posting as I get ready to dash
                                          out:-)).
                                          ======
                                        • Tanyatip Chearavanont
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Mar 12, 2008
                                            Hi Sarah,

                                            I'll tell my brother you said hi. He's already
                                            graduated high school, but is taking a year off before
                                            he goes off to college. So this coming Sept. he'll be
                                            at Harvard, which is almost two hours away from where
                                            my school is, but nonetheless in the same country!

                                            As I've grown older, I began questions what religion
                                            is, and why people are so dependant on it. My renewed
                                            interest in Buddhism is not quite an interest as a
                                            religion. Simply put, I think of buddhism as more of a
                                            teaching and way of life.

                                            Over the past.. 6 years, I've made a bunch of new
                                            friends from all over, and with a vareity of religious
                                            backgrounds. A close friend of mine introduced me to a
                                            mock-religion (in otherwords an Atheist union per se)
                                            called Pastafarinism [If anyone would like to know
                                            more about it, its quite entertaining in a
                                            tongue-in-cheek kind of way, just ask!]. It
                                            essentially pokes questions at Christianity and its
                                            credibility. Pastafarinism got me thinking of not only
                                            Christianity but other religions too; Buddhism
                                            obviously crossed my mind first.

                                            Because I began questioning religion, I figured I
                                            ought to learn more about it. (Hence the Buddhism
                                            forum search) So basically, I would like to know
                                            everyone's take on religion (Sorry, I know, thats
                                            incredibly vague), what sets buddhism apart from other
                                            religions, and based on that, why is it still
                                            considered a religion.

                                            wrote:

                                            > Hi Tamya (Jan), (James, Betty, Chris, Betty, Howard,
                                            > Nina & all)
                                            >
                                            > You've really made my day!!!!
                                            >
                                            > Of course I remember you well (also, your brother
                                            > Kane - say a big 'hi' to
                                            > him too).
                                            <....>
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Mar 13, 2008
                                              Hi Tanya, (James, Walto, Howard & all),

                                              --- Tanyatip Chearavanont <tanyatipch@...> wrote:
                                              > As I've grown older, I began questions what religion
                                              > is, and why people are so dependant on it. My renewed
                                              > interest in Buddhism is not quite an interest as a
                                              > religion. Simply put, I think of buddhism as more of a
                                              > teaching and way of life.
                                              S: That's a good way to put it and one I used to use with my students:-).
                                              > Because I began questioning religion, I figured I
                                              > ought to learn more about it. (Hence the Buddhism
                                              > forum search) So basically, I would like to know
                                              > everyone's take on religion (Sorry, I know, thats
                                              > incredibly vague), what sets buddhism apart from other
                                              > religions, and based on that, why is it still
                                              > considered a religion.
                                              S: If we get back to the 'way of life' theme, I think it's helpful to
                                              question more about what life is now as we speak, what are the most
                                              important aspects of life and how should life be led. Do you have comments
                                              or ideas on these points?

                                              Such questions can bring us closer and closer to the present moment and to
                                              how there is really only seeing, hearing, smelling, tasting, touching,
                                              thinking and other brief moments of experience of different objects. There
                                              are moments of joy and moments of sadness, moments of kindness and moments
                                              of unkindness. Which of these experiences is Tanya? Which is Sarah? Is
                                              there any lasting experience? Is there anything which remains pleasurable?

                                              I like to consider these questions and with the assistance of the Buddha's
                                              teachings, test out what the truth is now.

                                              So, for me, it's not a matter of belief in any religion but a matter of
                                              developing more understanding of what life really is.

                                              How does this sound to you?

                                              Perhaps other friends like James, Walto and anyone else will also add
                                              their comments.

                                              p.s Pls give Kane my congratulations!! Perhaps he'll look in here sometime
                                              too.
                                              ========
                                            • buddhatrue
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Mar 13, 2008
                                                Hi Tanya and Sarah,

                                                --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, sarah abbott
                                                <sarahprocterabbott@...> wrote:

                                                > So, for me, it's not a matter of belief in any religion but a
                                                matter of
                                                > developing more understanding of what life really is.
                                                >
                                                > How does this sound to you?
                                                >
                                                > Perhaps other friends like James, Walto and anyone else will also
                                                add
                                                > their comments.

                                                James: I don't really have much more to add. I consider Buddhism a
                                                religion because it is "a way of life". Buddhism requires faith in
                                                the Triple Gem- the Buddha, the Dhamma, and the Sangha.

                                                Though I have not personally achieved enlightenment, I have faith
                                                that the Buddha did, that he taught the path for others to achieve
                                                enlightenment, and that the Sangha is a community of monks/nuns who
                                                have achieved enlightenment or are working toward this goal. If you
                                                have doubts about any of this, you are not a Buddhist.

                                                Metta,
                                                James
                                              • nevkam
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Jul 30, 2016

                                                  I am currently following my intention to teach Buddhism. I am in the right place?

                                                • rjkjp1
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Jul 30, 2016
                                                    yes , please begin the lesson..
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Jul 31, 2016
                                                      Hi Nevkam

                                                      Welcome to the list.

                                                      ---In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, <nevin.kamath@...> wrote :

                                                      I am currently following my intention to teach Buddhism. I am in the right place?

                                                      --------------------

                                                      Jon:  As our home-page description says, we are a group for “anyone interested in understanding the Buddha's teachings as found in all three baskets of the Tipitaka, the original record of the Buddha's word in the Theravada tradition, and as further elucidated in the ancient commentaries of that tradition”.

                                                      So if you’re OK with that, you’re in the right place :-))

                                                      Hope you find time here time well spent.

                                                      Jon

                                                      PS  Please give an opening and closing name (greeting and sign-off) when posting.  Thanks.

                                                    • nevkam
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Aug 21, 2016

                                                        I am not familiar with this study group but I wanted to introduce myself. I am just beginning a course of study of Buddhism using Peter Harvey's textbook in order to become acquainted with it from a fairly broad point of view.

                                                        Thank you for creating this group!

                                                        Nevin

                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Aug 21, 2016
                                                          Dear Nevin,
                                                          Welcome here. The best way to become familiar with this group is asking questions, no matter what questions. Then we know your interest and it is easier to have contact.
                                                          Anyway, whatever book you are studying, it is good to know that the Dhamma pertains to whatever appears now in our life. No matter it is seeing, thinking on account of what is seen, aversion, attachment, doubt, pure lovingkindness, generosity. Some realities are good and wholesome, some are harmful, some are neither.
                                                          Looking forward to your questions,
                                                          Nina.
                                                          Op 21 aug 2016, om 18:29 heeft nevin.kamath@... [dhammastudygroup] het volgende geschreven:

                                                          I am not familiar with this study group but I wanted to introduce myself. I am just beginning a course of study of Buddhism using Peter Harvey's textbook in order to become acquainted with it from a fairly broad point of view.

                                                          Thank you for creating this group!

                                                        • sarahprocterabbott
                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Aug 22, 2016
                                                            Dear Nevin,

                                                            Welcome to DSG! Glad you joined us. Where are you from?

                                                            >N: I am not familiar with this study group but I wanted to introduce myself. I am just beginning a course of study of Buddhism using Peter Harvey's textbook in order to become acquainted with it from a fairly broad point of view.

                                                            S: We look forward to any of your comments or questions, however basic they may seem. Actually, basic questions are usually the most helpful for everyone.

                                                            >N: Thank you for creating this group!

                                                            S: Thanks for joining us here!

                                                            Metta (loving kindness)

                                                            Sarah

                                                            p.s. If you go to the files and find "Useful Posts" there is a section under "New to the group, new to Buddhism' (or something similar) which you might find helpful.

                                                            =========

                                                          • nevkam
                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Aug 31, 2016
                                                              Thanks Sarah Nina et others above; I am still having some difficulty with navigating Yahoo Groups