The Many Names of Buddha

  • Bhikkhu Dhammapiyo
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2003
      Dear Friends in This Community List,

      The "Many Names for the Buddha" was shared by a friend who leads another
      community like this and close to our own. Some of you may recognize this was
      posted by a wonderful Dhamma practitioner and what I would call a good
      friend but a true kalyána-mitta --- Noble Friend.

      Dr. Desmond Chiong, I have known as a loving, kind, compassionate teacher
      and a very much needed healing presence on this Internet.

      It is with profound reverence and deep appreciation, and gratitude for the
      Path that brings me the chance to share a recent post of his --- one that is
      beneficial for all of Dhamma Practitioners.

      Dhamma requires practice. The nectar of Practice of Buddhadharma is like no
      other. It is a nectar that is also a medicine. The extraction of that Nectar
      has been symbolized by the bee that drinks the flowers' nectar but does not
      hurt the flowers. If we study the Dhamma like the bees' and the flowers'
      cooperative relationship, then practice is healing and not harmful, and we
      learn that the Dhamma is studied or else how could one establish the right
      practice? The Fourth Noble Truth is first expanded by Right View or Right
      Understanding like what like the bees are to the flowers and flowers are to
      the bees. Right Thinking is like the bees who share their truth upon
      returning to the hive. There are many hives but these bees know where to
      return with their share of nectar, and depart again, returning to the
      flowers for their offering of nectar.... And so on...

      Dhamma requires practice but it begins with a serious commitment to study
      and learn. "The Many Names of the Buddha" is something that can be used for
      reflection akin to Samatha meditation. The references given beside them can
      provide a nice series of daily type reading for reflection, study, practice,
      and application.

      That we have this medicine or nectar available to us right here and now,
      that we can share it, continue the practice of it, educate with it, heal the
      Earth and ourselves with it, but most importantly apply it honestly and
      objectively to ourselves discovering that the Dhamma Truth applies to all
      human beings without regard to class, place, space, time, race, religion,
      etc.; --- when we can see all by ourselves the facts; when we apply
      ourselves to the Dhamma with bare attention, as well as apply the Dhamma to
      ourselves, we know and witness that a Refuge in Truth is the only real
      protection in these troubled times.

      May this everyone here well, happy, safe and secure, prospering, and ever
      mindful of the Gift That Excels All Others,

      And with gratitude to Des for reminding us of the Taste of the Medicine That
      Excels All Other Tastes,

      in the Dhamma,

      Bhikkhu Dhammapiyo

      oooO0Oooo
      The
      many names for the Buddha

      The following are a few of the many epithets that appear in the
      suttas in reference to the Buddha.

      The indicated sutta passages contain examples.

      All-seeing: Iti 112
      Awakened one(buddho): AN XI.12
      Best of those who can be tamed: Iti 112
      Blessed one(bhagava): AN XI.12
      Bull among men: Sn III.11
      Bull among seers: Sn III.11
      Bull of the Sakyan clan: Sn III.11
      Caravan leader: Iti 84
      Conqueror of beasts: Sn III.11
      Consummate in knowledge & conduct (vijja-carana-sampanno): AN XI.12
      Dispeller of darkness: Iti 38
      Endowed with all the foremost marks: Snp III.1
      Expert with regard to the world (lokavidu): AN XI.12
      First in the world: Iti 84
      Foremost jewel: Sn III.11
      Foremost of all people: Sn III.11
      Foremost of charioteers: Thag VI.9
      Foremost of those who can cross: Iti 112
      Foremost sage: Sn III.11
      Giver of the deathless: MN 18
      Great One (naga): Ud V.6
      Great seer: Sn IV.14
      Kinsman of the sun: Sn IV.14
      Peerless bull: SN I.38
      Rightly self-awakened (samma-sambuddho): AN XI.12
      Shower of the way: MN 107
      Supreme among those who can be released: Iti 112
      Tathagata (the one "Thus-gone" or "Thus-come"): Iti 112
      Teacher of divine & human beings (sattha deva-manussanam): Iti 112
      Thoroughly mature: Iti 112
      Ultimate leader: Thag VI.9
      Unconquered conqueror: Iti 112
      Unexcelled trainer for those people fit to be tamed (anuttaro purisa-
      damma-sarathi): AN XI.12
      Unsurpassed doctor and surgeon: Iti 100
      Well-gone one (sugato): AN XI.12
      Wielder of power: Iti 112
      Worthy one (arahant): AN XI.12
      See also: Refuge: An Introduction to the Buddha, Dhamma, and Sangha
      by Thanissaro Bhikkhu.
      Revised: Fri 17 May 2002
      http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/buddha.html

      metta,
      and karuna,
      des
    • htootintnaing <htootintnaing@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 31, 2003
        Dear Dhamma Friends,

        Many Names of The Buddha should be borne in our mind.We all should
        realise what each name refers to.Thinking of The Buddha and His
        gunnas is Buddhanussati Kammathana.This Kammathana is quite useful
        for the beginners because it raises the necessary basis and empowers
        their Saddha(belief).

        There are four Kammathanas that guard us.

        1.Buddhanussati Kammathana(for raising Saddha).

        2.Marananussati Kammathana(for suppressing Mana).

        3.Kayagatanussati Kammathana(for suppressing Raga).

        4.Mettanussati Kammathana that is 4 Brahamavihara or Brahmacariya(for
        suppressing Dosa)

        Each has its own goodness.But for the beginners,what makes most is
        Buddhanussati Kammathana.

        We need to put our mind on thinking of Buddhagunnas.So there will not
        be no more other bad thoughts.

        We need to cite Gunna at any time and at all possible time.With
        practice it will be apparent that The Buddha lives with us all the
        time.In the presence of The Buddha we will not do bad things and so
        on.

        Even ''Arahan'' has many meanings.And there are many other gunnas and
        they can be searched in the literature.

        May you all live with The Buddha by practising Buddhanussati
        Kammathana.

        With Great Metta,

        Htoo Naing

        --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "Bhikkhu Dhammapiyo"
        <vinmardeb@e...> wrote:
        > Dear Friends in This Community List,
        >
        > The "Many Names for the Buddha" was shared by a friend who leads
        another
        > community like this and close to our own. a true kalyána-mitta ---
        Noble Friend.

        > Dr. Desmond Chiong, a loving, kind, compassionate teacher
        > and a very much needed healing presence on this Internet.

        > It is with profound reverence and deep appreciation, and gratitude
        for the
        > Path that brings me the chance to share a recent post of his ---
        one that is
        > beneficial for all of Dhamma Practitioners.

        > metta,
        > and karuna,
        > des
      • Sarah
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 1, 2003
          Dear Ven Dhammapiyo (& Des),

          Thank you for sharing the “Many Names for the Buddha” with us. I agree
          full-heartedly that it’s very helpful to share any reminders which help us
          reflect on the qualities of the Buddha. I particularly like the way they
          are listed in the post with the sutta references.

          --- Bhikkhu Dhammapiyo <vinmardeb@...> wrote: >
          .
          > Dhamma requires practice but it begins with a serious commitment to
          > study
          > and learn. "The Many Names of the Buddha" is something that can be used
          > for
          > reflection akin to Samatha meditation. The references given beside them
          > can
          > provide a nice series of daily type reading for reflection, study,
          > practice,
          > and application.
          I agree with these comments. Recently in the ‘Way’ corner, from the
          commentary we read about the 4 objects of samatha meditation which can be
          frequently reflected on in daily life -

          Nina wrote:
          “sabbatthikakamma.t.thaananti
          buddhaanussati mettaa mara.nassati asubhabhaavanaa ca.
          N: The words , the meditation subjects on all occasions, mean:
          recollection
          of the Buddha, loving-kindness, mindfulness of death, and meditation of
          foulness.”

          I appreciate any reminders on these topics.
          > ... we know and witness that a Refuge in Truth is the only real
          > protection in these troubled times.
          Yes and often we need to be reminded. Thank you.
          > May this everyone here well, happy, safe and secure, prospering, and
          > ever
          > mindful of the Gift That Excels All Others,
          >
          > And with gratitude to Des for reminding us of the Taste of the Medicine
          > That
          > Excels All Other Tastes,
          Thank you for these blessings and helpful comments. I’m glad to hear
          reminders again from Des.