[DhammaStudyGroup] Nina W.

  • amara chay
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 19, 2000
      Dear friends in the dhamma,

      This morning Tanarong e-mailed me some bad news about our friend Nina
      Wimuttikosol in Nakorn Phanom, who has had quite a serious but luckily not
      life-threatening traffic accident and is presently hospitalized at the local
      institution.

      One really never knows what will happen the next instant, it really is
      aniccata, as K. Sujin tells us,

      Amara
    • Jonothan Abbott
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 22, 2000
        Amara,

        Thanks for the information about Nina W. I have emailed Tanarong for more
        details and a possible contact number.

        Like you said, we never know what will happen at the next instant. On the
        same day as I received your message I also heard from an acquaintance whom
        we met in Indonesia at the time I had my own bad news last August. She
        wrote to say she had just finished 3 months' radiation therapy after surgery
        for breast cancer - all in the time since we had last had contact in
        October!

        I was thinking the other day about health as one of the worldy conditions.
        I find this helpful, because the other pleasant worldy conditions are all
        things we readily accept as being fleeting, occasional or something that
        comes to us by chance. Health is no different from these. Yet somehow we
        tend think of bodily health as a state that, if we do the right things, is
        achievable on a long-term basis.

        Jonothan

        >From: "amara chay" <joychay@...>
        >To: dhammastudygroup@egroups.com
        >Subject: [DhammaStudyGroup] Nina W.
        >Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 21:41:34 PST
        >

        >Dear friends in the dhamma,
        >
        >This morning Tanarong e-mailed me some bad news about our friend Nina
        >Wimuttikosol in Nakorn Phanom, who has had quite a serious but luckily not
        >life-threatening traffic accident and is presently hospitalized at the
        >local
        >institution.
        >
        >One really never knows what will happen the next instant, it really is
        >aniccata, as K. Sujin tells us,
        >
        >Amara

        >You have a voice mail message waiting for you at iHello.com:

        >--
        >http://www.egroups.com/VoiceChatPage?listName=dhammastudygroup&m=1

      • amara chay
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 23, 2000
          >Yet somehow we
          >tend think of bodily health as a state that, if we do the right things, is
          >achievable on a long-term basis.

          Jonothan,
          That is quite natural, I think, we all still have the misconcept of the self
          who can control our health which can only be eradicated at the level of the
          sotapanna, after all we have accumulated the attachment to the self over
          such a long period. We all have lived with the self for much longer than we
          ever did in the times of the teachings. Even if we were present at all the
          Buddhas' times, their teachings last for such an infinitessimal period
          compared to the times of ignorance in between. I hate to sound
          self-congratulating all the time, but we are really lucky to be born while
          the teachings are still available and quite complete, despite the developing
          corruptions. The thing is to make the most of it while we can, we can never
          tell what we have in store for our next lives, or even this one, one moment
          to the next. It is so encouraging to think that sati can arise at any time
          or place with the right conditions!
          Amara