Re: [dsg] Re: Way 32, Comm, Breathing

  • LBIDD@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 31, 2002
      Hi Christine,

      Yes "bhikkhu" includes us. See Way 20:

      Further, when that highest kind of person, the bhikkhu, is reckoned, the
      rest too are reckoned, as in regard to a royal procession and the like,
      when the king is reckoned, by the reckoning of the king, the retinue is
      reckoned. Also the word "bhikkhu" was used by the Buddha to point out
      the bhikkhu-state through practice of the teaching in this way: "He who
      practices this practice of the Arousing of Mindfulness is called a
      bhikkhu." He who follows the teaching, be he a shining one [deva] or a
      human, is indeed called a bhikkhu. Accordingly it is said:

      "Well-dressed one may be, but if one is calm,
      Tamed, humble, pure, a man who does no harm
      To aught that lives, that one's a brahman true.
      An ascetic and mendicant too."

      L: I think this quote addresses the tenor of the rest of your
      characterization as well. In this section we are being advised to
      seclude ourself away from worldly distractions for the purpose of taming
      the mind by tieing that mind "to the post of the object of
      mindfulness-arousing with the rope of remembrance."

      I think the general flavour of the commentary, so far, has been one of
      accomodating different kinds of people with different kinds of practice.
      Although the practice is always only satipatthana. So I think it is up
      to us to see what fits and to see the common thread.

      Happy New Year, Larry
    • christine_forsyth <cforsyth@vtown.com.au>
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 31, 2002
        Thanks for this Larry, :-)