[DhammaStudyGroup] Re: DSDG

  • Jonothan Abbott
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 1, 2000
      Amara,

      I am just catching up on things after being mostly off-line for the past 2-3
      weeks due to pressure of work. Like others, I am looking forward very much
      to your translation of Khun Sujin's talk. (I would also like to order a
      copy of the tape when it becomes available, if possible.)

      Thanks for putting the link into your website. I suppose I would vote in
      favour of a 3rd option, "Internet Discussion Group" or something similar.

      The link actually contains 2 options for the visitor. One is to subscribe,
      the other is to visit the archives. You may wish to make this clear by some
      suitable wording, if revising the link page at some time.

      By the way, when making a posting to this listgroup which makes reference to
      your website, feel free to include in your message a link to the website.
      (The same goes for Alan.)

      Keep up the good work!

      Jonothan

      Amara wrote
      >I rather prefer the more discreet DSDG, people might find it more
      >intriguing.
      >Let's put it to a vote!

    • amara chay
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 2, 2000
        (I would also like to
        >order a
        >copy of the tape when it becomes available, if possible.)
        Jonothan,
        I will be getting my copy tomorrow, will make you one and send it to you
        myself.

        >Thanks for putting the link into your website. I suppose I would vote in
        >favour of a 3rd option, "Internet Discussion Group" or something similar.
        That would be one vote in favor of Robert's suggestion, then.

        >The link actually contains 2 options for the visitor. One is to subscribe,
        >the other is to visit the archives. You may wish to make this clear by
        >some
        >suitable wording, if revising the link page at some time.
        Feel free to reword the page, as you realize I took it from your
        introduction of the discussion group! Just send the correction to me and I
        will put it up.

        >By the way, when making a posting to this listgroup which makes reference
        >your website, feel free to include in your message a link to the website.
        >(The same goes for Alan.)
        Thanks, will do!
        Amara

      • ROSKOM@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 2, 2000
          Personal I think DSDG looks like the title to one of those dodgy sites I'd
          rather not visit.
          Rosan
        • amara chay
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 2, 2000
            Two, I guess three for Robert,
            Amara
          • Mike Potter
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 26, 2000
              Dear Amara,

              I am interested in getting a tape of one or more of Sujin
              Boriharnwanaket's Dhamma talks. How can I order them? Is there a
              catalog? If not, perhaps the one referred to by Jonothon would be a
              good place to start.

              Mike

              PS. I was so impressed by the excerpt from "Realities and Concepts"
              that Robert shared with us that I put it on my website under Abhidhamma
              Resources and linked to the DS Advanced page for more of her writings.
              I am glad that I found this list and the rich resources that are
              available here through those of you who are so willing and eager to
              share the Dhamma. Thank you!

              "amara chay" <joycha-@...> wrote:

              original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/dhammastudygroup/?start=1
              63
              > (I would also like to
              > >order a
              > >copy of the tape when it becomes available, if possible.)
              > Jonothan,
              > I will be getting my copy tomorrow, will make you one and send it to
              you
              > myself.
            • amara chay
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 26, 2000
                >I am interested in getting a tape of one or more of Sujin
                >Boriharnwanaket's Dhamma talks. How can I order them? Is there a
                >catalog? If not, perhaps the one referred to by Jonothon would be a
                >good place to start.

                >PS. I was so impressed by the excerpt from "Realities and Concepts"
                >that Robert shared with us that I put it on my website under Abhidhamma
                >Resources and linked to the DS Advanced page for more of her writings.
                >I am glad that I found this list and the rich resources that are
                >available here through those of you who are so willing and eager to
                >share the Dhamma. Thank you!

                Mike,

                Anumodana with your kusala cetana. When we started the website we thought
                that even if only one person would profit from it in any way, it would
                already be worth all our effort, so in a way you have already fulfilled part
                of our aim. The other part is to digitize all books ever published by the
                foundation and make them available on the site,
                as well as provide the vocal recordings on line, the latter of which is
                still being studied. The third aim is precisely what you were asking about,
                books and tapes for purchase, though the lists are still being prepared with
                some difficulty because of some internal rules of the foundation, I regret
                to say. I'm sorry we sound so disorganized, but personally I only handle
                the web side of it!

                The tape Jonothan got was in Thai, none of Khun Sujin's (as we call her here
                at DSDG) tapes have been translated yet to my knowledge (there are
                thousands, from which the materials for her books were taken) although
                Jonothan and Robert might be able to get you some tapes where she was
                speaking in English, mostly in discussions they or their friends had with
                her. Nina van Gorkom might also be able to provide you with some English
                tapes. But generally I think the deeper teachings on the Abhidhamma were in
                Thai.

                If you have time, I would really recommend you take Robert's advice and join
                some of the discussions she will be attending in America, and ask her
                whatever you want, she enjoys questions about the dhamma more than anything
                and I myself have never met anyone who could answer my questions with, as
                you observed in so short a time, such clarity and precision. She was born
                to be a teacher of the dhamma, (which is such an intricate and complex
                affair that the Buddha almost decided against teaching it at all,
                remember?), has been tirelessly teaching it for over forty years, nearly
                half a century, and in my opinion, any chance to listen to her in person
                should not be missed. And take a amall recorder, everyone wants to record
                her wonderful voice themselves, and no one will stop you from doing so, they
                will rather encourage you to! You will find that she is a lovely person in
                person, as well as an incomparable teacher. She makes learning a pleasure,
                at least for me!

                Amara
              • Sarah Procter Abbott
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 28, 2000
                  Mike,
                  acutually there are a lot of excellent tapes in English w/K.Sujin- I have
                  found them invaluable. Alan has been distributing copies through the 'Triple
                  Gem Press' and I presume is still doing this. I suggest you contact him to
                  get copies.

                  Sarah

                  p.s. Robert or Rosan, I'm just wondering if Alan is o.k. as we haven't heard
                  from him here for ages & he hasn't reponded to qus which is so unlike
                  him....let me know if you're in touch w/him! Hopefully just busy w/babies
                  and work!>

                  >Dear Amara,
                  >
                  >I am interested in getting a tape of one or more of Sujin
                  >Boriharnwanaket's Dhamma talks. How can I order them? Is there a
                  >catalog? If not, perhaps the one referred to by Jonothon would be a
                  >good place to start.
                  >
                  >Mike
                  >
                  >PS. I was so impressed by the excerpt from "Realities and Concepts"
                  >that Robert shared with us that I put it on my website under Abhidhamma
                  >Resources and linked to the DS Advanced page for more of her writings.
                  >I am glad that I found this list and the rich resources that are
                  >available here through those of you who are so willing and eager to
                  >share the Dhamma. Thank you!
                  >

                  >"amara chay" <joycha-@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/dhammastudygroup/?start=1
                  >63
                  > > (I would also like to
                  > > >order a
                  > > >copy of the tape when it becomes available, if possible.)
                  > > Jonothan,
                  > > I will be getting my copy tomorrow, will make you one and send it to
                  >you
                  > > myself.

                  >Get paid for the stuff you know!
                  >Get answers for the stuff you don�t. And get $10 to spend on the site!
                  >
                  >eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/dhammastudygroup/

                • amara chay
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 28, 2000
                    >acutually there are a lot of excellent tapes in English w/K.Sujin- I have
                    >found them invaluable. Alan has been distributing copies through the
                    >'Triple Gem Press' and I presume is still doing this. I suggest you contact
                    >him to get copies.

                    Mike,
                    I agree completely. They might not seem to be addressing the abhidhamma
                    directly, but what is the dhamma if not about realities, about our beings,
                    about the world in which we live? K. S. is not only the greatest teacher I
                    know of the abhidhamma, but she can relate that to the ralities of each
                    moment of our lives in an unrefutable manner, for, as she says, what is
                    there in the world right now but citta, cetasika and rupa? They will not
                    only explain pali terms to you but teach you about life itself.
                    Amara

                  • aweller@zolag.co.uk
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 29, 2000
                      >Mike,
                      >acutually there are a lot of excellent tapes in English w/K.Sujin- I have
                      >found them invaluable. Alan has been distributing copies through the 'Triple
                      >Gem Press' and I presume is still doing this. I suggest you contact him to
                      >get copies.
                      >
                      >Sarah
                      >
                      >p.s. Robert or Rosan, I'm just wondering if Alan is o.k. as we haven't heard
                      >from him here for ages & he hasn't reponded to qus which is so unlike
                      >him....let me know if you're in touch w/him! Hopefully just busy w/babies
                      >and work!>

                      Sarah, Hi I'm still alive, but having big problems with my computer which
                      has already been to the repairers once and is still not okay. I am not
                      distributing the tapes anymore as the copying was just too awkward, but I
                      am sending Mike a few of my own tapes.
                      Can you send me an e-mail with the details of this discussion group and I
                      can just put the details straight on my web site?

                      Best wishes, Alan
                    • Sarah Procter Abbott
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 29, 2000
                        Amara,

                        I mostly agree. In addition I would comment that the more understanding
                        there is of abhidhamma, the more one realises it's not about lists and
                        memorising but about seeing now, not self, vipaka citta, about hearing
                        etc...as you say, about citta, cetasika and rupa which can be experienced at
                        this moment. This is abhidhamma, and when we say we need an understanding
                        of abhidhamma in order to read the suttas or to understand them at least, it
                        is understanding the conditioned nature of the different realities we refer
                        to and understanding the difference between concepts and realities.

                        Thus, whenever I listen to k.Sujin, whatever realities she is discussing,
                        she is addressing abhidhamma very directly.

                        As you said in yr earlier message, it depends on accumulations what
                        questions arise or what theoretical knowledge is needed. Other factors such
                        as the cultural background or age will also affect what is aapropriate to
                        read or hear, but we've discussed that before.

                        I do howver think, that unlike some of those who had the good fortune to be
                        born at the time of the Buddha (so much accumulated wisdom from previous
                        lives), we all need to hear, read and consider A LOT!

                        Sarah

                        >Mike,
                        >I agree completely. They might not seem to be addressing the abhidhamma
                        >directly, but what is the dhamma if not about realities, about our beings,
                        >about the world in which we live? K. S. is not only the greatest teacher I
                        >know of the abhidhamma, but she can relate that to the ralities of each
                        >moment of our lives in an unrefutable manner, for, as she says, what is
                        >there in the world right now but citta, cetasika and rupa? They will not
                        >only explain pali terms to you but teach you about life itself.
                        >Amara

                      • Amara
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 30, 2000
                          > I mostly agree. In addition I would comment that the more
                          understanding
                          > there is of abhidhamma, the more one realises it's not about lists
                          and
                          > memorising but about seeing now, not self, vipaka citta, about
                          hearing
                          > etc...as you say, about citta, cetasika and rupa which can be
                          experienced at
                          > this moment. This is abhidhamma, and when we say we need an
                          understanding
                          > of abhidhamma in order to read the suttas or to understand them at
                          least, it
                          > is understanding the conditioned nature of the different realities we
                          refer
                          > to and understanding the difference between concepts and realities.

                          Sarah,
                          The other day she also said that the abhidhamma is the key to the
                          understanding of the Tipitaka as a whole (for example when you read the
                          suttas it is not about this or that person but different combinations
                          of citta, cetasika and rupa, I think). Therefore if you are to study
                          the Tipitaka at all you should not neglect the abhidhamma, it should at
                          least be studied together with the rest. Personally I think that
                          studying the abhidhamma is a lot better than studying anything else or
                          having any kind of hobby because it is a very good reminder for sati to
                          arise while other activities might not be so conducive.
                          Amara