[DhammaStudyGroup] Re: DSDG

  • amara chay
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 29, 2000
      Dear Robert,
      I rather prefer the more discreet DSDG, people might find it more
      intriguing.
      Let's put it to a vote!
      Amara
    • Jonothan Abbott
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 1, 2000
        Amara,

        I am just catching up on things after being mostly off-line for the past 2-3
        weeks due to pressure of work. Like others, I am looking forward very much
        to your translation of Khun Sujin's talk. (I would also like to order a
        copy of the tape when it becomes available, if possible.)

        Thanks for putting the link into your website. I suppose I would vote in
        favour of a 3rd option, "Internet Discussion Group" or something similar.

        The link actually contains 2 options for the visitor. One is to subscribe,
        the other is to visit the archives. You may wish to make this clear by some
        suitable wording, if revising the link page at some time.

        By the way, when making a posting to this listgroup which makes reference to
        your website, feel free to include in your message a link to the website.
        (The same goes for Alan.)

        Keep up the good work!

        Jonothan

        Amara wrote
        >I rather prefer the more discreet DSDG, people might find it more
        >intriguing.
        >Let's put it to a vote!

      • amara chay
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 2, 2000
          (I would also like to
          >order a
          >copy of the tape when it becomes available, if possible.)
          Jonothan,
          I will be getting my copy tomorrow, will make you one and send it to you
          myself.

          >Thanks for putting the link into your website. I suppose I would vote in
          >favour of a 3rd option, "Internet Discussion Group" or something similar.
          That would be one vote in favor of Robert's suggestion, then.

          >The link actually contains 2 options for the visitor. One is to subscribe,
          >the other is to visit the archives. You may wish to make this clear by
          >some
          >suitable wording, if revising the link page at some time.
          Feel free to reword the page, as you realize I took it from your
          introduction of the discussion group! Just send the correction to me and I
          will put it up.

          >By the way, when making a posting to this listgroup which makes reference
          >your website, feel free to include in your message a link to the website.
          >(The same goes for Alan.)
          Thanks, will do!
          Amara

        • ROSKOM@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 2, 2000
            Personal I think DSDG looks like the title to one of those dodgy sites I'd
            rather not visit.
            Rosan
          • amara chay
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 2, 2000
              Two, I guess three for Robert,
              Amara
            • Mike Potter
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 26, 2000
                Dear Amara,

                I am interested in getting a tape of one or more of Sujin
                Boriharnwanaket's Dhamma talks. How can I order them? Is there a
                catalog? If not, perhaps the one referred to by Jonothon would be a
                good place to start.

                Mike

                PS. I was so impressed by the excerpt from "Realities and Concepts"
                that Robert shared with us that I put it on my website under Abhidhamma
                Resources and linked to the DS Advanced page for more of her writings.
                I am glad that I found this list and the rich resources that are
                available here through those of you who are so willing and eager to
                share the Dhamma. Thank you!

                "amara chay" <joycha-@...> wrote:

                original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/dhammastudygroup/?start=1
                63
                > (I would also like to
                > >order a
                > >copy of the tape when it becomes available, if possible.)
                > Jonothan,
                > I will be getting my copy tomorrow, will make you one and send it to
                you
                > myself.
              • amara chay
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 26, 2000
                  >I am interested in getting a tape of one or more of Sujin
                  >Boriharnwanaket's Dhamma talks. How can I order them? Is there a
                  >catalog? If not, perhaps the one referred to by Jonothon would be a
                  >good place to start.

                  >PS. I was so impressed by the excerpt from "Realities and Concepts"
                  >that Robert shared with us that I put it on my website under Abhidhamma
                  >Resources and linked to the DS Advanced page for more of her writings.
                  >I am glad that I found this list and the rich resources that are
                  >available here through those of you who are so willing and eager to
                  >share the Dhamma. Thank you!

                  Mike,

                  Anumodana with your kusala cetana. When we started the website we thought
                  that even if only one person would profit from it in any way, it would
                  already be worth all our effort, so in a way you have already fulfilled part
                  of our aim. The other part is to digitize all books ever published by the
                  foundation and make them available on the site,
                  as well as provide the vocal recordings on line, the latter of which is
                  still being studied. The third aim is precisely what you were asking about,
                  books and tapes for purchase, though the lists are still being prepared with
                  some difficulty because of some internal rules of the foundation, I regret
                  to say. I'm sorry we sound so disorganized, but personally I only handle
                  the web side of it!

                  The tape Jonothan got was in Thai, none of Khun Sujin's (as we call her here
                  at DSDG) tapes have been translated yet to my knowledge (there are
                  thousands, from which the materials for her books were taken) although
                  Jonothan and Robert might be able to get you some tapes where she was
                  speaking in English, mostly in discussions they or their friends had with
                  her. Nina van Gorkom might also be able to provide you with some English
                  tapes. But generally I think the deeper teachings on the Abhidhamma were in
                  Thai.

                  If you have time, I would really recommend you take Robert's advice and join
                  some of the discussions she will be attending in America, and ask her
                  whatever you want, she enjoys questions about the dhamma more than anything
                  and I myself have never met anyone who could answer my questions with, as
                  you observed in so short a time, such clarity and precision. She was born
                  to be a teacher of the dhamma, (which is such an intricate and complex
                  affair that the Buddha almost decided against teaching it at all,
                  remember?), has been tirelessly teaching it for over forty years, nearly
                  half a century, and in my opinion, any chance to listen to her in person
                  should not be missed. And take a amall recorder, everyone wants to record
                  her wonderful voice themselves, and no one will stop you from doing so, they
                  will rather encourage you to! You will find that she is a lovely person in
                  person, as well as an incomparable teacher. She makes learning a pleasure,
                  at least for me!

                  Amara
                • Sarah Procter Abbott
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 28, 2000
                    Mike,
                    acutually there are a lot of excellent tapes in English w/K.Sujin- I have
                    found them invaluable. Alan has been distributing copies through the 'Triple
                    Gem Press' and I presume is still doing this. I suggest you contact him to
                    get copies.

                    Sarah

                    p.s. Robert or Rosan, I'm just wondering if Alan is o.k. as we haven't heard
                    from him here for ages & he hasn't reponded to qus which is so unlike
                    him....let me know if you're in touch w/him! Hopefully just busy w/babies
                    and work!>

                    >Dear Amara,
                    >
                    >I am interested in getting a tape of one or more of Sujin
                    >Boriharnwanaket's Dhamma talks. How can I order them? Is there a
                    >catalog? If not, perhaps the one referred to by Jonothon would be a
                    >good place to start.
                    >
                    >Mike
                    >
                    >PS. I was so impressed by the excerpt from "Realities and Concepts"
                    >that Robert shared with us that I put it on my website under Abhidhamma
                    >Resources and linked to the DS Advanced page for more of her writings.
                    >I am glad that I found this list and the rich resources that are
                    >available here through those of you who are so willing and eager to
                    >share the Dhamma. Thank you!
                    >

                    >"amara chay" <joycha-@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/dhammastudygroup/?start=1
                    >63
                    > > (I would also like to
                    > > >order a
                    > > >copy of the tape when it becomes available, if possible.)
                    > > Jonothan,
                    > > I will be getting my copy tomorrow, will make you one and send it to
                    >you
                    > > myself.

                    >Get paid for the stuff you know!
                    >Get answers for the stuff you don�t. And get $10 to spend on the site!
                    >
                    >eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/dhammastudygroup/

                  • amara chay
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 28, 2000
                      >acutually there are a lot of excellent tapes in English w/K.Sujin- I have
                      >found them invaluable. Alan has been distributing copies through the
                      >'Triple Gem Press' and I presume is still doing this. I suggest you contact
                      >him to get copies.

                      Mike,
                      I agree completely. They might not seem to be addressing the abhidhamma
                      directly, but what is the dhamma if not about realities, about our beings,
                      about the world in which we live? K. S. is not only the greatest teacher I
                      know of the abhidhamma, but she can relate that to the ralities of each
                      moment of our lives in an unrefutable manner, for, as she says, what is
                      there in the world right now but citta, cetasika and rupa? They will not
                      only explain pali terms to you but teach you about life itself.
                      Amara

                    • aweller@zolag.co.uk
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 29, 2000
                        >Mike,
                        >acutually there are a lot of excellent tapes in English w/K.Sujin- I have
                        >found them invaluable. Alan has been distributing copies through the 'Triple
                        >Gem Press' and I presume is still doing this. I suggest you contact him to
                        >get copies.
                        >
                        >Sarah
                        >
                        >p.s. Robert or Rosan, I'm just wondering if Alan is o.k. as we haven't heard
                        >from him here for ages & he hasn't reponded to qus which is so unlike
                        >him....let me know if you're in touch w/him! Hopefully just busy w/babies
                        >and work!>

                        Sarah, Hi I'm still alive, but having big problems with my computer which
                        has already been to the repairers once and is still not okay. I am not
                        distributing the tapes anymore as the copying was just too awkward, but I
                        am sending Mike a few of my own tapes.
                        Can you send me an e-mail with the details of this discussion group and I
                        can just put the details straight on my web site?

                        Best wishes, Alan
                      • Sarah Procter Abbott
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 29, 2000
                          Amara,

                          I mostly agree. In addition I would comment that the more understanding
                          there is of abhidhamma, the more one realises it's not about lists and
                          memorising but about seeing now, not self, vipaka citta, about hearing
                          etc...as you say, about citta, cetasika and rupa which can be experienced at
                          this moment. This is abhidhamma, and when we say we need an understanding
                          of abhidhamma in order to read the suttas or to understand them at least, it
                          is understanding the conditioned nature of the different realities we refer
                          to and understanding the difference between concepts and realities.

                          Thus, whenever I listen to k.Sujin, whatever realities she is discussing,
                          she is addressing abhidhamma very directly.

                          As you said in yr earlier message, it depends on accumulations what
                          questions arise or what theoretical knowledge is needed. Other factors such
                          as the cultural background or age will also affect what is aapropriate to
                          read or hear, but we've discussed that before.

                          I do howver think, that unlike some of those who had the good fortune to be
                          born at the time of the Buddha (so much accumulated wisdom from previous
                          lives), we all need to hear, read and consider A LOT!

                          Sarah

                          >Mike,
                          >I agree completely. They might not seem to be addressing the abhidhamma
                          >directly, but what is the dhamma if not about realities, about our beings,
                          >about the world in which we live? K. S. is not only the greatest teacher I
                          >know of the abhidhamma, but she can relate that to the ralities of each
                          >moment of our lives in an unrefutable manner, for, as she says, what is
                          >there in the world right now but citta, cetasika and rupa? They will not
                          >only explain pali terms to you but teach you about life itself.
                          >Amara

                        • Amara
                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 30, 2000
                            > I mostly agree. In addition I would comment that the more
                            understanding
                            > there is of abhidhamma, the more one realises it's not about lists
                            and
                            > memorising but about seeing now, not self, vipaka citta, about
                            hearing
                            > etc...as you say, about citta, cetasika and rupa which can be
                            experienced at
                            > this moment. This is abhidhamma, and when we say we need an
                            understanding
                            > of abhidhamma in order to read the suttas or to understand them at
                            least, it
                            > is understanding the conditioned nature of the different realities we
                            refer
                            > to and understanding the difference between concepts and realities.

                            Sarah,
                            The other day she also said that the abhidhamma is the key to the
                            understanding of the Tipitaka as a whole (for example when you read the
                            suttas it is not about this or that person but different combinations
                            of citta, cetasika and rupa, I think). Therefore if you are to study
                            the Tipitaka at all you should not neglect the abhidhamma, it should at
                            least be studied together with the rest. Personally I think that
                            studying the abhidhamma is a lot better than studying anything else or
                            having any kind of hobby because it is a very good reminder for sati to
                            arise while other activities might not be so conducive.
                            Amara