wrong view

  • LBIDD@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 23, 2002
      Hi all, here are a few lines fom Bhikkhu Bodhi and the Majjhima Nikaya
      on wrong view, apropos Victor's 'signature' thread:

      note 170: The view of being (bhavaditthi) is eternalism, the belief in
      an eternal self; the view of non-being (vibhavaditthi) is
      annihilationism, the denial of any principle of continuity as a basis
      for rebirth and kammic retribution...

      MN 117.4-.9 Mahacattarisaka Sutta:
      Bhikkhus, what is right view? I say right view is twofold. There is
      right view with desires to share merit, which mature as
      substratum*1).and right view, that is noble, without desires, transcends
      this world and is a feature of the path.
      What is right view with desires to share merit, which mature as
      substratum? There are results for gifts, sacrifices and offerings.There
      are results for good and bad actions. There is this world, another
      world, mother, father, spontaneously arisen beings, There are recluses
      and brahmins who realizing this world and the other world declare it.
      This is right view with desires, to share merit, which mature as
      substratum.
      Bhikkhus, what is right view, that is noble, without desires,
      transcending this world is a feature of the path? The noble mind's
      development of the enlightenment factor investigation of the Teaching
      without desires, together with the path factors of wisdom, the faculty
      of wisdom, the power of wisdom, is right view that is noble,
      transcending this world and is a feature of the path. He endeavours to
      dispel wrong view and gets established in right view, that becomes his
      right endeavour. He mindfully dispels wrong view and abides established
      in right view, that becomes his right mindfulness. Thus these three
      things follow each other, turning in a circle. Such as right view, right
      endeavour and right mindfulness.
      trans. Sister Upalavanna,
      http://metta.lk/tipitaka/2Sutta-Pitaka/2Majjhima-Nikaya/

      note 1103: This definition [above] defines supramundane right view as
      the wisdom (panna) found among the requisites of enlightenment as a
      faculty, power, enlightenment factor, and path factor. The definition is
      formulated by way of the cognitive function rather than the objective
      content of the view. Elsewhere (MN 141.24) the right view of the path is
      defined as knowledge of the Four Noble Truths. We may understand that
      the conceptual comprehension of the four truths falls under mundane
      right view, while the direct penetration of the truths by realising
      Nibbana with the path constitutes supramundane right view.

      [notes from the 'Wisdom' edition of MN]
    • yuzhonghao
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 23, 2002
        "Bhikkhus, what is wrong view? There are no results for gifts,
        sacrifices and offerings.There are no results for good and bad
        actions. There is no this world, no other world, no mother, no
        father, no spontaneously arisen beings, There are no recluses and
        brahmins who realizing this world and the other world declare it.
        Bhikkhus, this is wrong view."

        http://metta.lk/tipitaka/2Sutta-Pitaka/2Majjhima-Nikaya/Majjhima3/117-
        mahacattarisaka-e.htm

      • gazita2002
        Message 3 of 4 , May 1, 2004
          Hello dsg-ers

          How obvious is dosa with its associated bad feelings? After
          returning home from a months' holiday which included spending time in
          BKK with A. Sujin and several other dsg members, I'm having lots of
          aversion about my job, others things including the computor!!

          How seductive is the thought that to stay in BKK where I can hear
          the true Dhamma each week, would be much better than being here. I
          would then be wiser and have more understanding!!

          We can have the idea that if we are in a more conducive place to
          hear and practise the true Dhamma then wisdom will grow more quickly.
          Instead, this may be wrong view and actually have the opposite effect
          and hinder the development of sati.

          Wisdom grows from detachment not from more attachment, and
          thinking that one place is better than another could be attachment
          not wisdom. No amount of trying, wishing, hoping for sati will make
          it arise. Sati must arise naturally, by conditions.
          Association with good friends - by conditions.
          Hearing the true Dhamma - by conditions
          Considering - by conditions
          Practise in accordance with the true Dhamma - by conditions.

          Better that I see the aversion for what it is, a reality which can
          be known as not me, not myself, not mine, that it is anicca, dukkha
          [you bet] and anatta.

          May we all have patience, courage and good cheer
          Azita.
        • Sarah
          Message 4 of 4 , May 3, 2004
            Hi Azita,

            --- gazita2002 <gazita2002@...> wrote:

            > How seductive is the thought that to stay in BKK where I can hear
            > the true Dhamma each week, would be much better than being here. I
            > would then be wiser and have more understanding!!
            >
            > We can have the idea that if we are in a more conducive place to
            > hear and practise the true Dhamma then wisdom will grow more quickly.
            > Instead, this may be wrong view and actually have the opposite effect
            > and hinder the development of sati.
            >
            > Wisdom grows from detachment not from more attachment, and
            > thinking that one place is better than another could be attachment
            > not wisdom. No amount of trying, wishing, hoping for sati will make
            > it arise. Sati must arise naturally, by conditions.
            > Association with good friends - by conditions.
            > Hearing the true Dhamma - by conditions
            > Considering - by conditions
            > Practise in accordance with the true Dhamma - by conditions.
            S: You give yourself all the right reminders, so again to repeat Sukin,
            pa~n~naa is the good friend in the ultimate sense. There can be hearing,
            considering, right practising now at this very moment. Another place or
            time or company is mere wishful thinking or speculation, possibly with
            wrong view as you suggest.
            > Better that I see the aversion for what it is, a reality which can
            > be known as not me, not myself, not mine, that it is anicca, dukkha
            > [you bet] and anatta.
            >
            > May we all have patience, courage and good cheer
            S: You bet;-)

            p.s Hope your daughter Abby is doing OK....??