Re: [dsg] ADL ch. 10 (1) and so-on

  • LBIDD@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 2, 2002
      Lucy, I hope you aren't asking me all those questions. I don't have a
      clue. I took this chapter to be focused on the uncertainty of the next
      life and the limits of meritorious activity. The outlook seemed pretty
      grim to me. I guess we could say it is the truth of dukkha.

      Larry
    • LBIDD@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 3, 2002
        Hi Lucy, one way to trick the system is to not rely on the future or
        worry about the past. Even the present is barely anything at all.

        Larry
      • azita gill
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 9, 2002
          --- Lucy <selene@...> wrote: > >
          > > Only one for now: just HOW is the body / rupa
          > appropriated ??? This isn't
          > at all clear to me, is there a heap of rupa out
          > there (where???) waiting to
          > be taken by a nama (re-becoming) ? Doesn't this
          > contradict what the Visdm.
          > say about there not being a store of skandha out
          > there waiting to be
          > appropriated? I can understand one citta being the
          > cause for the next one
          > to arise, and a succession of these going on
          > endlessly since beginningless
          > time ... but what about "matter"??? Is it out there
          > following its own
          > course? Why? How? What happens before a Big Bang
          > when all matter may be
          > condensed into a super-duper-atom about to become a
          > Universe? And why does
          > Dependent Origination say that "name-and-form"
          > arises in dependence upon
          > "consciousness"??? It doesn't say that rupa is
          > harvested by citta
          > from among a selection of rupa following its own
          > course somewhere else - or
          > does it? And how come that the birth citta manages
          > to find itself a chunk
          > of rupa (genes, parents, environment, etc.) that is
          > exactly suitable to its
          > ripening karma and to the death citta ... Has
          > anyone worked out the
          > mathematical /
          > probability implications of this?
          >
          > Lucy
          > dear Lucy, I will attempt to answer this
          one. Asyou say, citta arises and falls away, ever
          so rapidly, may I add. the cittas that are happening
          now, that we take for "me", "mine" are no different to
          the death consciousness and the rebirth
          consciousness.
          > At moment of rebirth, the citta arises along with a
          new set of rupa, this rupa is not 'hanging around'
          waiting for a citta. Infact, each rupa only lasts for
          about 17 cittas. The conditions which brings these
          together are too complicated for us to know, this is
          the realm of Buddha knowledge, what we can know,
          theoretically that is, is that kamma is certainly one
          of these conditions. If we were arahats, fully
          enlightened beings, no more kamma would be made and
          after death consciousness, no more becoming, no more
          conditions for becoming.
          > sometimes the answers we are looking for cannot
          be found, at least not until we have developed more
          understanding of the present moment, because this
          present moment is just name and form, nama and rupa,
          citta, cetasika and rupa arising and falling away,
          very rapidly, and we because of ignorance,avijja, not
          knowing, we take it all for self.
          > I hope I have helped a little, Lucy
          > Cheers, Azita
          >
          > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          http://www.sold.com.au - The Sold.com.au Big Brand Sale
          - New PCs, notebooks, digital cameras, phones and more ... Sale ends June 12
        • Lucy
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 11, 2002
            Hi Larry

            > Lucy, I hope you aren't asking me all those questions. I don't have a
            > clue.

            As you were racing through it I assumed it was because you'd got it all ...
            Now I know it was to avoid being asked what it all meant : )

            > I took this chapter to be focused on the uncertainty of the next
            > life and the limits of meritorious activity.

            But it's kind of tempting to look into the process well and work out ways
            to trick the whole thing ... mind you, it might mean straying into "M"
            territory ... going to see a wise old Lama who can remember it all very
            well ... who knows.... (musing to myself)

            The other thing of course is curiosity - wouldn't you like to find out what
            your patisandhi citta was ??? (which is where the bhavanga citta comes
            in... ) It's so intriguing !

            OK, what's on Chapter 11 ? I'm nearly through with the translation I was
            doing in my spare time so I may be able to follow the next chapter - give
            or take a few football matches dragging me away from the good path

            Lucy