RE: TA on reminders

  • glenjohnann
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 5, 2013

      Hello Alberto

      I am really appreciating all of the transcriptions you have been doing of the January sessions and KK in June.  Very helpful - as I actually find that I can get more from reading than listening sometimes, because I can go back and reread as often as I like/need.

      This one is particularly good, I find, in that Achan stresses how each moment is a new beginning, again and again.  It is so easy to cling to thoughts about Dhamma that we may have had in the past and that we think are useful, all the while ignorance is covering up the present moments.  Letting go, detachment - I can hear Achan giving those reminders, well, detachment mostly.

      The more understanding there is, the more we can know how much more there is to understand.  Begin and begin again ... each moment.

      Anumodana

      Ann

      ---In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, <sprlrt@...> wrote:

      (Jan 22nd 2013 - am, 19m)

      Lukas: I like these reminders, it's helpful to consider dhatus...

      Than Acharn: But you like the words as reminders, what about the reality now which appears, as reminder, instead of the word

      Lukas: I don't know that...

      TA: when you talk about seeing, there's seeing, so it can be *a remainder* to understand, that if there's no attention and no awareness pa~n~na cannot understand it as just that which sees, an element of seeing, now is the element of seeing, and the element of visible object, what else?

      L: it seems that naturally I don't think about this, but when I read...

      TA: about the word or the seeing right then?

      L: usually the word

      TA: yeah, until there are conditions to understand, not by speculations or expecting at all, just arising naturally, by conditions; so it's so natural, like when there's seeing and there's no understanding - it is natural; and when there's seeing and understanding it is as natural; but before it's natural, pa~n~na develops to the degree to know the difference, but this is not natural yet; so pa~n~na knows that later on, when there's more understanding - more conditions, and less attachment, that it is natural.

      L: Ajahn, what about the beginning?

      TA: now. you think of the beginning, but now is the beginning; if it's not now it's still thinking about the beginning.

      L: but I see this tree and no reality

      TA: no reality?

      L: no

      TA: what do you see?

      L: a tree

      TA: without the reality can there be the idea of tree?

      L: no

      TA: so, what is seen? again, as reminder of the reality which appears, not the word but the reality which appears; this is most important while one is studying the teachings - to know that any word represents a reality, to be reminded to understand the reality, not only the word; like 'visible object' now, when you say it, do you see visible object, or a tree, or what?
      Seeing is seeing, it cannot know the shape and form as tree at all - it only sees

      L: afterwards there is thinking of shape and form...

      TA: you mean that while the ruupa is still there, not fallen away yet, it's time for aasava to be kaamaasava or avijjaasava or ditthaasava, according to conditions; but they're all unknown because pa~n~na is not strong enough to understand it, because the process arise and fall away in split seconds; it's only from learning and understanding - it can conditions moments of understanding, not (just) a moment, but the difference between seeing and visible object, to be precise, that visible object is not seeing, and seeing is that which now sees - any moment of seeing is that which sees; otherwise what's in the book is not helpful as it should be, only reminders for understanding to develop - now.
      This is the beginning, and beginning again and again and again - all the time.
      Because, you see, that even right understanding now begins, but after that lots of akusala; so the beginning of just a moment ago is covered up by all the akusala, so it has to begin again, like when akusala does not cover up the previous moments. otherwise it's the wrong path - only thinking or taking something as what is written in the book while is not the understanding from this moment on.
    • Alberto
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 6, 2013
        Dear Ann, Nina, Phil,

        Ann: I am really appreciating all of the transcriptions you have been doing of the January sessions and KK in June. Very helpful - as I actually find that I can get more from reading than listening sometimes, because I can go back and reread as often as I like/need.

        Thank you for your kind feedback, when typing Ajahn words I always find something new to consider that I've missed while listening too.

        Alberto