RE: RE: RE: Actors are devils??? Really???

  • kenhowardau
    Message 1 of 149 , Oct 4, 2013

      Hi James,

      ---

      <. . .>

      > James: Ultimately, this may be true and there aren't any people and no hell (sounds like the Heart Sutra). However, in this conventional world that doesn't give me very much comfort. I'm glad it works for you, but to me it seems like a type of denial of suffering.

      ---

      KH: You are right, of course; the Dhamma does not deny suffering. Suffering was the very first truth taught by the Buddha.

      Even so, I think it could be called a type of denial of suffering.  It is a type that denies *my* suffering.

      Most people don't like to hear that. I know from my own experience the doctrine of anatta was not attractive at first. I wanted the Dhamma to be all about me. :-)

      Ken H

    • epsteinrob
      Message 149 of 149 , Dec 30, 2013
        Hi Alex

        >RE: The "neti-neti" technique is used by philosophically inclined *Hindus* and the idea that Atman cannot be >described but exists is a *Hindu* idea.  It is the opposite of the Buddhist idea of anatta, and is one of the >major differences between Hinduism and Buddhism

        How do we know that Buddha (who was raised as a Hindu) didn't use the same technique?

        RE: Because he didn't teach it.

        Alex: BTW, I do not believe in an Atman. I am just pointing out flawed argument.

        RE: It's only flawed if you ignore the logic of the argument.  The Buddha made other statements that more conclusively showed that there is no self.

        Bahiya sutta:
        When for you there will be only the seen in reference to the seen, only the heard in reference to the heard, only the sensed in reference to the sensed, only the cognized in reference to the cognized, then, Bāhiya, there is no you in connection with that. When there is no you in connection with that, there is no you there. When there is no you there, you are neither here nor yonder nor between the two. This, just this, is the end of stress."[2]

        Clearly, this shows the viewpoint that any view of self or personal identity is what causes suffering. Anatta is not just a parlor game of saying a few things are "not it."

        Best,

        Rob E.