RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Voting

  • kenhowardau
    Message 1 of 91 , Sep 18, 2013

      Hi James,

      ------------

      <. . .>
      > James: I think I catch the drift of what you are saying here and I agree with you very much. In my case, I find that 'Mainstream Buddhism' likes to downplay the negative or difficult parts of Buddhism. The First Noble Truth of Suffering is usually the first to be thrown out the window! No one likes to admit that they are suffering, or that others or suffering, or worse yet that everyone is suffering! So they try to put a happy face on the suffering.
      ------------

      KH: I am glad we can agree on the important things. According to the Dhamma, "suffering should be known." (AN 6.63) It should not be run away from or dressed up as something else.

      ------------------------
       > J: The worst example I have ever seen is this book:
      http://www.amazon.com/If-Buddha-Dated-Handbook-Spiritual/dp/0140195831
      If the Buddha Dated: A Handbook for Finding Love on a Spiritual Path. For Heavens Sake!!
      ------------------------

      KH: Just when we  thought we had seen it all! At first I couldn't work out what "If the Buddha dated" meant. I was expecting of some sort of chronological ordering of the suttas. :-)

      ------------------------------------
      <. . .>
      > James: I believe that DSG is very special because the intelligence, dedication, and knowledge of the members and moderators is second to none. I am not a pure breed Theravadin Buddhist; I am more of a mutt. :-)) But I do feel more comfortable here than other places so I guess that says something.
      -----------------------------------

      KH: DSG will make a purebreds out us both.

      ---------------
      <. . .>
      > James: You are an old man?? Really?? I never pictured you as old! How old are you?? I am 44, stuck in the quagmire of middle age, and I feel like I am starting to petrify! LOL! (midlife crisis and all). Really Ken H., I thought you were very young...32 perhaps. I guess you send out young energy.
      ---------------

      KH: I am a young 63. :-) But the important thing is satipatthana. When a monk is thinking about his age he knows life begins and ends in the present moment. Whether he is 23 or 103 he knows age in exactly the same way.

      This is not (as we have agreed) a matter of running away from old age, or trying to put a happy face on it. It's a fact. There is no one who continues on from one moment to the next, and therefore old age is nothing more than the third and final stage of a present, momentary, conditioned reality.

      Ken H

    • buddhatrue
      Message 91 of 91 , Oct 20, 2013

         Hi Phil,

         Thanks for the typically warm-hearted and sweet message. ^_^

        James: Really? You are ruining my rep as a homosexualist, hippy nazi! Don't say that. :-))

         I will stick to my policy of discussing Dhamma only with people who appreciate Abhidhamma. (at least online

        James: Okay, I can understand this differentiation. What is done online is not like what is done in real life.

         , if you visit Japan that's a different story! hope you do, Tokyo is not radioactive. Do you think the government can stop people from using geiger counters?)

        James: Hehe...you sound like Sebastian. Of course right now Japan is not radioactive but I am worried about the moment when the whole thing blows up sky high!! Japan is now in a pre-Chernobyl situation...X3. I don't want Sebastian and I to be there if they mistakenly drop a rod and start a nuclear chain reaction! I know, I am a little paranoid. But that healthy paranoia has served me very well up to this point. :-))

          As for Power of Now it's a great self-help book and I'm interested in the yoga aspect of working with energies in the body. But it. has nothing to do with Dhamma.

        James: What?? That book has absolutely nothing to do with working with energies in the body and it isn't "yoga". I read that book from front to back cover! It has nothing to do with Yoga of any sort! It is all about instant enlightenment. It has more to do with the Japan style of Satori and instant enlightenment. It has absolutely nothing to do with the Three Pillars of Yoga! Phil, do you even know what Yoga means? Yoga is a lifestyle(based on the Hindi religion), NOT a moment or momentary.

          And there's no reason to think that he is enlightened. He talks about higher states of consciousness but in fact it's just ki/chi that he is in fact encouraging attachment to - nothing liberating about it.

        James: Oh geez, you need to read his book again. That isn't at all what he describes. Yes, he describes the Energy Body but that isn't because he is recommending the cultivation of chi. He is just describing instant enlightenment. And what he describes; and what the Buddha described; and what Zen Masters described is all the same....it has to do with energy. Consciousness is a type of energy... it all fits together.

          But it's good for short term energy and pleasant mental states.

        James: The Buddha's path is good in the beginning, good in the middle, and good in the end. That means it is all about pleasant mental states!! If anyone tells you that suffering is part of the Buddha's path, they are liars! It is all supposed to be pleasant or it is just more MARA.

         Hi to Sebastian. ^_^

        James: Thank you! I hope you get to meet him someday. He is really my amazing sweetheart! Best wishes to you and Naomi. I really miss you both.

         Over and out for now.Phil

        Metta,
        James