Re: Re: [dsg] e-notes from Saigon & Vang Tau 14 with A.Sujin

  • Nguyen Thanh Tam
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 14, 2013

      Dear Tiny Tam.

      You asked A.Sujin on behalf of another friend:

      "What is the cause of the four stages of enlightenment, the eight-fold path or the four noble truth?"

      AS: You've given the answer already! The eight-fold path and understanding of the 4NT is the 'cause' for the four stages of enlightenment!

      -------

      T.Tam: Thank you Sarah. We heard your voice via live discussion at the Foundation yesterday. It's really good to be reminded again, again and again about reality like yesterday you said that even ariyans in Buddha's time all the time talked about seeing, hearing, ....

      On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 11:03 AM, <sarahprocterabbott@...> wrote:

       Dear Tiny Tam.

      You asked A.Sujin on behalf of another friend:

      "What is the cause of the four stages of enlightenment, the eight-fold path or the four noble truth?"

      AS: You've given the answer already! The eight-fold path and understanding of the 4NT is the 'cause' for the four stages of enlightenment!

      p.s Will be leaving for the Foundation in a couple of hours if anyone else has any further questions, long or short, they'd like to ask for themselves or on behalf of anyone else, such as the bhikkhu who Thai mentioned on the phone.

      ======

      Dear Sarah and Dhamma friends,

      It was really a precious opportunity for not only me but many others to have Achaan and you, Jonathan to come and share about Dhamma, the highest blessing.
      I had a wonderful time joining all the discussions and feel a bit sad to be back work though I know sadness is also a reality that can be understood :-)

      And I haven't fulfilled my task of transferring questions from listener to Achaan as you also see that people "fight" for the microphone.
      So, could you please pass the last one to Achaan this question?
      "What is the cause of the four stages of enlightenment, the eight-fold path or the four noble truth?"

      Thank you so much for all your patience and enthusiasm in sharing Dhamma.
      Hope to see you again in Jan

      Yours in dhamma,
      Tiny Tam

      On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 8:31 PM, sarah abbott <sarahprocterabbott@...> wrote:

      Dear Friends,

      Our last day of discussions with the Venerable monks and our many Vietnamese friends. Everything was organised so well, so it's all gone very smoothly and there were lots of good questions up til the end. Amazingly, neither Tam Bach (who has been tirelessly and very skilfully translating all the discussions) nor Ajahn Sujin lost their voices, though I know both will be ready for a quiet rest.

      We have such kind and considerate friends here and there is such keen interest in the Dhamma, (not to mention the delicious food).....  we're very fortunate to participate.

      A question about 'wandering mind', such as during the discussions and trying to prevent or control it. When understood as a dhamma, no trouble, but when there is the trying to control, it's trouble. No one can do anything. Why worry about it? It's gone completely.

      A question for a bhikkhu about turning away when noticing women wearing some clothes and a discussion about how it's not just following rules with no understanding. Many questions about 'what should I do?' When there is understanding of dhammas as dhammas, no such question, no 'I' to do anything now or in future. Just conditioned dhammas to be understood.

      "All the Teachings are about 'now' - so studying means beginning to understand whatever appears now, little by little." The words or Teachings are for understanding - not just reading without any understanding or thinking one knows those words. The Teachings are very subtle. The more one understands, the more one realises it's necessary to go 'deeper and deeper'.

      Sacca nana - the intellectual understanding that cannot be shaken. It understands seeing can be directly known. If there is the idea of a long, long time, 'too long', it's not sacca nana. Only sacca nana or pariyatti can condition patipatti - not just trying with the idea of self. It takes all the paramis to understand reality - sacca, viriya, khanti and so on.

      One of the bhikkhus mentioned that now he understands that there's no need to meditate and he has a different understanding. For the harmony at his monastery, everyone starts meditation at the same time. Should he now conform to the schedule of others - this is with lobha wishing to join - or should he stop such activities.

      AS's ans: Is lobha self or a reality to be known as no self? Otherwise it's not understanding, still the idea of 'my lobha'. We use 'right path', but when lobha is there, what is 'right path' then? If one dislikes the lobha, there is no understanding of it as a reality. Without right understanding, it cannot be the right path. The right path is not easy.

      More for the mother who would like to tell her son in his early 20s not to get a tattoo. One might feel pleased to tell one's child not to behave in this way, but he might feel miserable and depressed to be told such. One (the mother in this case) is just thinking about one's own wishes and it can condition problems later with the son who may feel more and more resentful. A.Sujin gave the example of a relative who over-fussed about her son and how he now lives in America and seldom visits her. Understanding leads to being a more understanding person, more metta - appreciating the other's accumulations are different with different preferences and so on.

      Life is moments to moments

      Life is moments to moments