40 Bhaavanaas

  • htoonaing@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 39 , Aug 27, 2013
      Dear Dhamma Friends,

      This may be useful for contemplation.

      There are 40 bhaavanaas.

      1). " Ime pa~ncakkhandhaa aniccaa."

      These 5 khandhaas are impermanent. Which khandhaas, which aggregates, which constellations?

      They are

      1. ruupakkhandhaa (aggregate of ruupas/forms/materials)
      2. vedanaakkhandhaa (aggregate of feeling/sensing)
      3. sa~n~naakkhandhaa (aggregate of perception/memories/cognitions)
      4. sa`nkhaarakkhandhaa (aggregate of formations/fabrications)
      5. vi~n~naa.nakkhandhaa(aggregate of consciousness/knowings)

      They are fleeting. They do not last even for a second, even for a split second, just a moment, called cittakkha.na.

      At the of seeing/hearing/smelling/tasting/touching(that is not at the later time when all about an object is realized and understood) there are these 5 khandhaas.

      1. seeing

      1. ruupakkhandhaa (ruupa_forms/shapes/colours & cakkhu-pasaada)
      2. vedanaakkhandhaa(feeling _on-forms.._of equanimity_upekkhaa)
      3. sa~n~naakkhandhaa(congnizing on forms/shapes/colours)
      4. sa`nkhaarakkhandhaa(contact,volition,ekaggataa, attention, life)
      5. vi~n~naa.nakkhandhaa(consciousness to form...etc)

      2. hearing

      1. ruupakkhandhaa (sounds & ear-sense-base_sota-pasaada)

      3. smelling

      1. ruupakkhandhaa (smell & nose-sense-base_ghaana-pasaada)

      4. tasting

      1. ruupakkhandhaa (tastes & tongue-sense-base_jivhaa-pasaada)

      5. touching

      1. ruupakkhandhaa (tangible objects & any of body part_kaaya-pasaada)

      These fleeting dhammas (5 khandhaas) do not last long. They pass away immediately after arising. So they are impermanent. They are not permanent.

      2). "Ime pa~ncakkhandhaa adhuvaa."

      These 5 khandhaas are non-unbreakable.

      3). "Ime pa~ncakkhandhaa asaaraa".

      These 5 khandhaas are essenceless.

      4). "Ime pa~ncakkhandhaa calaa."

      These 5 khandhaas are moved off.

      5). "Ime pa~ncakkhandhaa palokadhammaa."

      These 5 khandhaas destructive-natured.

      6). "Ime pa~ncakkhandhaa vipari.naama-dhammaa."

      These 5 khandhaas are changing-natured.

      7). "Ime pa~ncakkhandhaa mara.na-dhammaa."

      These 5 khandhaas are death-natured."

      8). "Ime pa~ncakkhandhaa vibhava-dhammaa."

      These 5 khandhaas are non-existence-natured."

      9). "Ime pa~ncakkhandhaa sa`nkhataa."

      These 5 khandhaas are well-conditioned.

      10)."Ime pa~ncakkhandhaa pabha`nguno."

      These 5 khandhaas are quiveringly-broken into non-existence from existence.

      11) ..

      12) ..

      ... ...

      39) ..

      40). "Ime pa~ncakkhandhaa su~n~naa."

      These 5 khandhaas are void-of-essence.

      May you all be well and happy,

      With Unlimited Metta,

      Htoo Naing
    • upasaka_howard
      Message 39 of 39 , Sep 6, 2013
        Hi, Jon -

        You wrote:

        The passage you quoted is I think from the verse section (see the refercne to 'unbinding').

        Assuming this to be the same part of the sutta, it gives a somewhat different picture to your quoted passage, wouldn't you agree?
        HCW: Thank you, Jon! Yes, I do agree. Actually, I don't know where I got my "version" from!

        Jon

        Seamless Interdependence

        /A change in anything is a change in everything/

        (Anonymous)