Re: Door = reality. Rupa kalapa = concepts

  • philip
    Message 1 of 483 , Aug 25, 2013
      --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "jono.abbott" <jono.abbott@...> wrote:

      > Hi Phil
      >
      > --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "philip" <philco777@> wrote:

      Hi Jon
      > > ===============
      >
      > J: Well in fact my suggested interpretation was based on the known Pali word (`viharati'), rather than the English translation.

      Ok, and in your case there would gave been listenjng about the meaning, and study of commentaries. You would not be writing based on a belief that you can read a sutta and understand it in line with the conventional meaning of the words.

      > > ===============
      > > Ph: ... in order to make a point is kind of lowering yourself to your opponents' tactics, that's what they do all the time. Suttas are far too deep and subtle for people of our understanding understanding to be able to do that. But at DSG you get forced into it.
      > >
      > > This is probably the Pasli word tgat is also transkated as abiding, and that sugests something else.
      > > ===============
      >
      > J: So it's OK to form a view of the possible meaning (based on the *probable* Pali word(!)), but it shouldn't be mentioned?

      Ph: No. I wasn't forming a view. I don't tend to read suttas and form views about them these days. DSG has ruined my ability to read suttas with confidence that I understand them, , in other words Dsg has spared me from delusion in that regard. It was an idle statement without much thought.

      > > ===============
      > > Ph: We are all so ignorant, Jon, all of us. We shoukd handle suttas with trepidation.
      > > ===============
      >
      > J: Quite so, Phil. Thanks for the reminder (and for keeping us on our toes :-))

      Thanks Jon, have a great trip.

      Phil
      Message 483 of 483 , Oct 1, 2013

        Hi Rob E

        RE: Hi Jon.

        > RE: I will get into the next part about the Satipatthana sutta later, as I need to look at it to continue the discussion.

        > J:  Glad to hear you'll be checking out the text of the sutta for a change!! :-))

        RE:

        :-)  I appreciate what I desperately hope is your humor here, and if so, is very funny.

        I will get back to you with the usual sutta quotes as soon as I can.  :-)

        Very very funny, Jon.   ; - /

        Best,

        Rob  E.