Re: Off to mind-made abstract land of paramattha dhammas

  • upasaka_howard
    Message 1 of 339 , Aug 24, 2013
      Hi, Alex -

      --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "truth_aerator" <truth_aerator@...> wrote:

      > Hi Howard, all,
      >
      > > HCW: I do understand what you are saying. I simply disagree with it.
      > > -------------------------------
      >
      > Do you agree that water has different chemical properties than hydrogen or oxygen?
      --------------------------------
      HCW: Of course, but for me, that is a conventional way of saying that hydrogen & oxygen connected in a certain fashion act in a certain fashion than if not so connected. (I'm starting to think that we are beating a dead horse. :-)
      --------------------------------

      > >-----------------------------
      > >HCW: I believe that I did not say "cause". I said "curse".
      > >-----------------------------
      >
      > Sorry, I misread. What exactly do you mean by reification here?
      --------------------------------
      HCW: Literally, "making real", or "Thing-a-fying," i.e., mentally substantializing.
      ------------------------------

      > I agree that metaphysical speculations that cannot be verified are problematic.
      >
      > However we do have to distinguish one set of colors, etc, from another. Without making sense of what is seen, one would be almost like a log of wood.
      >
      > When I need to walk into another room, I walk through the door - not attempt to walk through the wall. Certain amount of recognition of
      > "this is wall", "this is the door" is required for day to day functioning. Unless one is a motionless log of wood.
      --------------------------------
      HCW: Of course! Perception and conception are necessary for navigating this world of appearance.
      -------------------------------

      > With best wishes,
      >
      > Alex

      =================================

      Seamless Interdependence

      /A change in anything is a change in everything/

      (Anonymous)
    • ptaus1
      Message 339 of 339 , Oct 20, 2013
        Hi Jon,

        > J:  I think that's pretty much how the discussion went.  Not sure if I used the word 'survival', but if I did I think I would now prefer to say 'means of subsistence'.

        p: Yes, I think "survival" was my rendering of what you had said, which was probably "means of subsistence".

        > J: Just to supplement a little, I remember it being explained that for a monk, his livelihood is the going on his alms round.
        p: Yes, that makes sense.

        Best wishes
        pt