Re: Off to Canada

  • philip
    Message 1 of 339 , Aug 20, 2013
      Dear Sarah, Rob E, group

      > As soon
      as we introduce an idea about making sense of experience in conventional terms,
      we forget about khandhas.

      But surely there must almost always be forgetting about the khandas due to accumulations think in conventional terms

      Couldn't it be that when we are living our lives in paramattha terms we are forcing panna where it isn't ready to go. I know I find myself thinking things like "just dhammas rising and falling away, nothing to get upset about." That is using the Dhamma for comfort i the same way meditators do. (Well, not as grossly wrong.)

      Do we really have te accumulations for patience that allows consideration of khandas to arise when it arises, without pushing to deepen our understading of the khandas?

      Phil
    • ptaus1
      Message 339 of 339 , Oct 20 1:23 AM
        Hi Jon,

        > J:  I think that's pretty much how the discussion went.  Not sure if I used the word 'survival', but if I did I think I would now prefer to say 'means of subsistence'.

        p: Yes, I think "survival" was my rendering of what you had said, which was probably "means of subsistence".

        > J: Just to supplement a little, I remember it being explained that for a monk, his livelihood is the going on his alms round.
        p: Yes, that makes sense.

        Best wishes
        pt