Re: Dhamma as refuge.

  • Buddhatrue
    Message 1 of 84 , Aug 19, 2013
      Hi Jagkrit,

      --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "jagkrit2012" <jagkrit2012@...> wrote:

      > JK: So, it is behavior of sitting, you mean. Maybe this doesn't apply to King Pimpisant, Visakaa vikalamata, Anatabintika who were ordinary people in the Lord Buddha time. They had a lot of works to do, not just sitting but they were ariyan.

      James: If they were ariyan then they had to do some sitting meditation- maybe during Full Moon Days??

      > JK: Then what do we do during meditation?

      James: I already covered that: Right Mindfulness (samma-sati) and Right Concentration (samma-samadhi).

      > =================
      >
      > > James: I just googled sukkavipassaka arahant and the information states that it is an arahant who has achieved one of the four jhanas as a basis for insight. Jhana is still involved, not just samma-sati.
      >
      > JK: There was this topic discussion in DSG if you'd like to read below:
      >
      > Dear venerable Dhammapiyo,
      >
      > Thanks for the clarification. Exactly so: it is deep insight,
      > not mere intellectual understanding, culminating in Nibbana. At
      > the moment of nibbana, for a flash, there is samadhi at the
      > level of jhana, even for the sukkavipassaka. Also for the
      > sukkavipassaka during actual vipassana nana , for those short
      > moments, samadhi is very powerful. But it is always associated
      > with samma-samadhi of the eightfactored path . It is not the
      > same as the type of samadhi associated with the development of
      > mundane jhana.
      >
      > Robert
      >
      > --- "Ven. Bhikkhu Dhammapiyo" <dhammapiyo@> wrote:
      > > Sukkhavipassaka
      > >
      > > "One supported by bare insight."
      > >
      > > This is a commentarial term.

      James: Therefore, this is a commentarial term, unsupported by the suttas. So it is complete hogwash.

      > > It means that a meditator who has not achieved jhana has
      > > realized only by or
      > > from Vipassana support. This can also include the
      > > Ariyapuggala.
      > >
      > > See: Vis. Magg. XVIII.
      > >
      > > "Sukkha" means "dry". This means the insight is not necessarily the result of tranquility meditation.
      >
      > Anudmodhana
      >
      > Jagkrit

      Metta,
      James
    • sarahprocterabbott@ymail.com
      Message 84 of 84 , Aug 31, 2013
        Dear Pt & all,

        Grateful if as many people here as possible vote for a) being able to expand messages (30 messages a page) as this is essential for our back-up of archives and makes it much easier to read messages, b) being able to reply in messages as before with indentations etc, paragraphs and so on.

        I'm hoping Pt will give more instructions. The sooner you follow them and vote the better as it may be a small window of having our voices heard.

        Thanks

        Sarah