Re: Dhamma as refuge.

  • jagkrit2012
    Message 1 of 84 , Aug 17, 2013
      Dear James

      > James: You are using Pali phrases here that the Buddha didn't teach. The Buddha didn't teach samatha bhavana or vipassana bhavana. The Buddha taught samma-sati (Right Mindfulness) and samma-samadhi (Right Concentration). Anything that uses these two techniques is "Meditation".

      JK: I think your comment of "Anything that uses these two techniques (samma-sati and samma-samadhi) is "Meditation" is not in any Buddha teaching as far as I know.

      > James: The samatha/vipassana distinction that you raise is a false dichotomy and a modern invention.

      JK: I have to disagree because sammatha (meditation) was practiced long before Buddha time. And vipassana is the Lord Buddha teaching to attain enlightenment.

      >James: There are no two such meditation techniques because they really cannot be separated in that way.

      JK: Can you give me some example of samma-sati and samma-samadhi?

      =================

      > James: Maras are invisible. No one can "see" Maras with the naked eye because they are from a higher dimension. The only way to "see" a Mara is through psychic vision using the third eye. That is why Maras are so tricky and dangerous- they can influence your thoughts but you never see them.

      JK: Can you give some example that Mara influence our thoughts?

      Thanks

      Jagkrit
    • sarahprocterabbott@ymail.com
      Message 84 of 84 , Aug 31, 2013
        Dear Pt & all,

        Grateful if as many people here as possible vote for a) being able to expand messages (30 messages a page) as this is essential for our back-up of archives and makes it much easier to read messages, b) being able to reply in messages as before with indentations etc, paragraphs and so on.

        I'm hoping Pt will give more instructions. The sooner you follow them and vote the better as it may be a small window of having our voices heard.

        Thanks

        Sarah