Re: Off to Canada

  • Buddhatrue
    Message 1 of 339 , Aug 6, 2013
      Hi Colette,

      Thanks for writing to me! I appreciate your concern about this issue. I will respond in-text:

      --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "colette_aube" <colette_aube@...> wrote:

      > <James, Phil>
      >
      > GOOD MORNING,

      James: Good Morning to you also! You know I hate it when others ignore the pleasantries of greeting another fellow human being. I am glad you understand the importance. Good morning to you, Colette...

      > Well now, "... alien who works hard daily at suppressing emotion." IF we actively try to BEHAVE by "suppressing" or through "suppression" then aren't we trying to control a manifested BEHAVIOR?

      James: Yes, we are trying to do that. We are all trying to control manifested behaviors all the time. That isn't a big deal. That is survival.

      The Objectivity is manifest the consciousness of ANATTA which NO SELF and this, THEN, does not fit into the Buddha's meanings, IMO.

      James: Yeah, I hear what you are saying. The subject of consciousness and identity is truly slippery in a lot of ways. But don't we all have to work to hang on to some sort of identity??

      BY THEORY, the existence of "Mr. Spock" was based on "Mr. Spock's" ability to NOT THINK ABOUT ANATTA or NO-SELF because ANATTA is the NORM, spock DID NOT HAVE TO ACTIVELY THINK TO SUPPRESS THOUGHTS OF A "SELF" EXISTING and by having the DESIRE to SUPPRESS that which is delusional

      James: Yeah, Spock had it so great!! It would be great to live in a culture that actively discouraged attachment to false ideas! But, them again, they would also encourage attachment to their own false ideas. There is no escape when you are part of a culture...(sad but true).

      > Same as it ever was...

      James: Yes it is. So stop spending time feeling sorry for the situation and try to help others. That is why we are here...

      > toodles,
      > colette

      Metta,
      James
    • ptaus1
      Message 339 of 339 , Oct 20, 2013
        Hi Jon,

        > J:  I think that's pretty much how the discussion went.  Not sure if I used the word 'survival', but if I did I think I would now prefer to say 'means of subsistence'.

        p: Yes, I think "survival" was my rendering of what you had said, which was probably "means of subsistence".

        > J: Just to supplement a little, I remember it being explained that for a monk, his livelihood is the going on his alms round.
        p: Yes, that makes sense.

        Best wishes
        pt