Re: Off to Canada

  • htoonaing@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 339 , Aug 4, 2013
      Phil:

      Hi Rob E and James

      Interesting to note that khanti ( usually translated as patience) is not a cetasika in itself but is instead considered ( if I rcall correctly) virya cetasika. So a more helpul way to think of patience is as an impulse of energy that rises with all kusala. You can choose to stick to conventionsl ideas of patience in difficult situations etc if you prefer. Most people do. But you are't most people, are you? Or are you?

      Phil

      P.s Conventionally speaking, I am being patient in a very difficult situation these days. But that is and can only be about the story of Phil being patient, a useless story at best.
      Gotta get to the dhammas, dudes. Down to the realities. And patience as a reality is a moment of virya performing its function. Nina, Htoo or other Abhidhamma experts, correct me, if I got that wrong.
      Htoo:

      As I wrote to Sukin (when Sarah pointed out in a post), I am not expert in abhidhamma. Please do not equate me with real experts like Nina, Sarah and so on. I have been studying abhidhamma and this will be endless. So I go along with practice. We cannot know our hidden conditions and accumulations. That is why I go on with practice.

      "Khanti"

      Khanti itself is condition. It is not cetasika. Khanti has 'adosa' as cetasika and all other sobhana cetasikas or beautiful cetasikas.

      Adosa works as 'adosa' , 'metta', 'khanti' and so on. I think Sarah will have more to talk on khanti.

      With Metta,

      Htoo Naing
    • ptaus1
      Message 339 of 339 , Oct 20, 2013
        Hi Jon,

        > J:  I think that's pretty much how the discussion went.  Not sure if I used the word 'survival', but if I did I think I would now prefer to say 'means of subsistence'.

        p: Yes, I think "survival" was my rendering of what you had said, which was probably "means of subsistence".

        > J: Just to supplement a little, I remember it being explained that for a monk, his livelihood is the going on his alms round.
        p: Yes, that makes sense.

        Best wishes
        pt