Re: Off to Canada

  • Robert E
    Message 1 of 339 , Aug 3, 2013
      Hi James.

      --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "Buddhatrue" <buddhatrue@...> wrote:

      > > Try developing concentration/samatha without patience sometime - not possible. I think that's kind of obvious.
      > >

      > James: No, it is not so obvious to me. I guess it depends on how you define patience. If you define patience as in "Oh, I have plenty of time to get this done", then no I don't agree with you. If you define patience as "I must endure that which is difficult or causes me stress." Then yes I do agree with you.

      Yeah, that's what I meant - the latter. :-) Although part of what we must endure which is difficult is how long it takes, and how hard and long a journey it is. Endurance does have to do with how long you can put up with something. But I don't mean to relax and wait, and be passive.

      Best,
      Rob E.

    • ptaus1
      Message 339 of 339 , Oct 20, 2013
        Hi Jon,

        > J:  I think that's pretty much how the discussion went.  Not sure if I used the word 'survival', but if I did I think I would now prefer to say 'means of subsistence'.

        p: Yes, I think "survival" was my rendering of what you had said, which was probably "means of subsistence".

        > J: Just to supplement a little, I remember it being explained that for a monk, his livelihood is the going on his alms round.
        p: Yes, that makes sense.

        Best wishes
        pt