Re: [dsg] Re: anattaa.

  • Tam Bach
    Message 1 of 56 , Aug 2, 2013
      Dear Htoo,

      > Htoo:
      >
      > Mahaapanthaka taught a verse to Cuu.lapanthaka. Cuu.lapanthaka could not remember what he learned. He did not have understanding.
      >
      > Again, the Buddha did not teach him anything except letting him
      > *doing* rubbing a white cloth saying "rajo hara.nam rajo hara.nam".
      >
      > Cuu.lapanthaka was not taught to understand dhamma. He did not have understanding. What he did was *doing* as instructed by the Buddha.
      >
      > Tam B: This interpretation sounds to me the same to the belief in  fire worshiping, dogs ascetism and so forth...
      > Metta

      Dear Tam B,

      Rubbing a white cloth is simple. And this may be seen as you thought like 'tantra mantra'. But the Buddha did know that inclination of Cuu.lapanthaka. Once in a life when worked in the paddy field and became sweaty. He wiped his sweat with a white cloth and it changed into dirty. He notice 'anicca' once. That is anicca-sanna.

      And in many lives Cuu.lapanthaka practiced 'Odaata Kasi.na' and got ruupa jhaanas. This makes his inclination to rapidly developing jhaana. The Buddha knew this inclination and that is why the Buddha gave hime 'white cloth'.
      ------------------------------

      Tam B: My comment was not about the story itself, but about your comment on it, in reply to Sarah's post:
      "He did not have understanding. What he did was *doing* as instructed by the Buddha."

      Now, you mentioned anicca-sanna, isn't it understanding?

      Actually, your explanation above is simply making Sarah's point.

      Metta,

      Tam B

      Message 56 of 56 , Aug 25, 2013
        Dear Alex,

        --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "truth_aerator" <truth_aerator@...> wrote:

        > >S:Can you control what seeing sees now, what hearing hears now, what >thinking thinks about now?
        > >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

        >A: I can decide to look to the left and see what is there. I can decide to look to the right and see there. I can decide to listen to this or that mp3 file on my computer.
        >
        > If I decide to think "what is 1+1?" I can do that.
        S: It's an illusion, Alex. Just thinking which is conditioned with sanna which marks and remembers each object. This is how a baby learns to recognise objects or a child learns to count. Just conditioned dhammas...

        > >Can you have calm at will now? Can you control whether pleasant or >painful bodily feeling arises now or not?
        > >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

        >A: I don't have much skill in samatha yet, but those people who do - often can control many things about what they feel and don't feel.
        S: Never mind about "those people". Now, when there is wise reflection about present realities, such as pleasant or unpleasant bodily feeling or tangible object experienced, the citta is calm....for a moment.

        > >S: Is seeing dhamma? Is visible object dhamma? When hardness is >experienced now, is it real? Does it belong to a self?
        > >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

        >A: It depends what is implied by "belonging to a self".
        S: There is just the experiencing of hardness. No self involved at all at such moments.

        p.s I'll have to ask others to continue these discussions for now.
        ======