[dsg] Re: About Lodewijk. Was: Off to Canada

  • Buddhatrue
    Message 1 of 339 , Aug 2, 2013
      Hi Nina,

      --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@...> wrote:

      > Dear James,
      > Nice to correspond with you again.

      Yes, it is nice to correspond with you also. I am sorry it has been so long on my part.

      > Op 2 aug 2013, om 09:00 heeft Buddhatrue het volgende geschreven:
      >
      > > I don't want to be indelicate but is Lodewijk okay? The way you write here makes me think Lodewijk passed away.
      > -------
      > N: No, you are not indelicate. Thank you for your kind words about Lodewijk. Sarah explained all. He passed away last year September after a very aggressive prostate cancer.

      James: Thank you for letting me know and I am sorry I asked so openly on a public list. I don't have any other way of knowing what happened. I have been gone a very long time. I am sorry I wasn't there for you Nina for the difficult experience. We all need friends in that kind of experience. I am your friend and always will be. Take care of yourself and always keep on keeping on!!

      Aftrwards in January I took a trip to Thailand. Here I received many effective reminders about what is really true, not the stories. That was the best medicine.

      James: Yes, that is the best medicine for becoming pure and strong again. It is hard but you should focus again on what is true; again and again.

      > The recovery after my accident (I fell flat down in a tram) goes really slowly. But I hope to be able to go to Thailand again next year January.

      James: Oh gosh, Nina, I am so sorry you had that terrible fall in a tram. You know, I really hate those things! I have to ride them everyday in Taiwan and they drive freaking me crazy!! But, Nina, you just have to overcome that bullsh*t. You can do it! It isn't about the tram, it is about you honey, sweetheart.

      > Nina.

      Metta,
      James
    • ptaus1
      Message 339 of 339 , Oct 20, 2013
        Hi Jon,

        > J:  I think that's pretty much how the discussion went.  Not sure if I used the word 'survival', but if I did I think I would now prefer to say 'means of subsistence'.

        p: Yes, I think "survival" was my rendering of what you had said, which was probably "means of subsistence".

        > J: Just to supplement a little, I remember it being explained that for a monk, his livelihood is the going on his alms round.
        p: Yes, that makes sense.

        Best wishes
        pt