Re: spd 24 (bodily intimation)

  • connie
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 28, 2013
      > --------------------------------
      > HCW: There is wishing but no wisher. Speaking of "citta wishing" puts citta forward as a wisher, it seems to me. So, your ping peck has been followed by my pong peck! LOLOL!
      > ---------------------------------

      agency bots score & go another triple-round -- where things are more about what they seam than what they seem! oops, net foul. wish longs. and i can't recall the other sorts of 'definition' ... agency and ???

      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 28, 2013
        Dear Phil,
        Op 27 jul 2013, om 14:11 heeft philip het volgende geschreven:

        > But I was wondering why in the book it says "kaaya and vinnati rupa" instea of "kayavinnati rupa",
        -------
        N: Spelling mistake?

        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 28, 2013
          Dear Howard, Phil,
          debate about citta as little actor.
          Op 27 jul 2013, om 15:56 heeft Upasaka@... het volgende geschreven:

          > HCW: Well, I'm not looking for an extended debate. My only intention was to point out that atta-view may be more subtle and far-flung than usually realized.
          -----
          N: Yea, there is something in it. We may understand that there are cittas performing different functions, but still we are bound to take citta for self without realizing it. Thus, we have to listen more, consider more, it never is enough. Slowly what we hear sinks in.
          There was a debate with Htoo about the present reality. There is seeing now and we do not have to think much about it. It has a characteristic and slowly, slowly we can get used to be aware of characteristics without thinking about them. But we need lots of reminders, understanding is so weak.

        • upasaka_howard
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 29, 2013
            Hi, Nina (and Phil) -

            --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@...> wrote:

            > Dear Howard, Phil,
            > debate about citta as little actor.
            > Op 27 jul 2013, om 15:56 heeft Upasaka@... het volgende geschreven:
            >
            > > HCW: Well, I'm not looking for an extended debate. My only intention was to point out that atta-view may be more subtle and far-flung than usually realized.
            > -----
            > N: Yea, there is something in it. We may understand that there are cittas performing different functions, but still we are bound to take citta for self without realizing it. Thus, we have to listen more, consider more, it never is enough.
            ---------------------------------
            HCW: Thank you, Nina. I think that yes, you are right on target!
            --------------------------------
            Slowly what we hear sinks in.
            ---------------------------------
            HCW: Yes, if we don't resist it, and it is right.
            ------------------------------
            > There was a debate with Htoo about the present reality. There is seeing now and we do not have to think much about it. It has a characteristic and slowly, slowly we can get used to be aware of characteristics without thinking about them. But we need lots of reminders, understanding is so weak.
            -----------------------------
            HCW: :-)
            ------------------------------
            > Nina.
            =============================

            Seamless Interdependence

            /A change in anything is a change in everything/

            (Anonymous)
          • connie
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 29, 2013
              here, connie,
              a quote from cma: The Pali word citta is derived from the verbal root citi, to cognize, to know. The commentators define citta in three ways: as agent, as instrument, and as activity. As the agent, citta is that which cognizes an object (arammanam cinteti ti cittam). As an instrument, citta is that by means of which the accompanying mental factors cognize the object (etena cintenti ti cittam). As an activity, citta is itself nothing other than the process of cognizing the object (cintanamattam cittam).
              The third definition, in terms of sheer activity, is regarded as the most adequate of the three: that is, citta is fundamentally an activity or process of cognizing or knowng an object. It is not an agent or instrument possessing actual being in itself apart from the activity of cognizing. The definition of terms of agent and instrument are proposed to refute the wrong view of those who hold that a permanent self or ego is the agent and instrument of cognition. The Buddhist thinkers point out, by means of these definitions, that it is not a self that performs the act of cognition, but citta or consciousness. This citta is nothing other that the act of cognizing, and that act is necessarily impermanent, marked by rise and fall.
              <end quote>

              taken from dhammawheel via google.
              c.