Re: [dsg] Re: on understanding was: re: science and Dhamma don

    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 2, 2013
      Dear Alex,
      Op 1-jul-2013, om 17:17 heeft truth_aerator het volgende geschreven:

      > So, I believe this is where intentional effort at developing panna
      > comes in. Panna does not appear by itself. It is not God's grace,
      > or undeserved gift. It something that is developed.
      ------
      N: Agreed, pa~n~naa has to be developed. Understanding of what? Of a
      table or a person or a story, or: realities. Then we have to know
      first what realities are. What are the objects of pa~n~naa of the
      eightfold Path? Naama and ruupa that appear just one at a time
      through one of the six doors. Not a table or a person. When pa~n~naa
      of the eightfold Path arises there is right effort already and no
      need to think of intentional effort. If one thinks of intentional
      effort there is likely to be an idea of self who has that.

    • thomaslaw03
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 2, 2013
        Dear all,

        > Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@...> wrote:
        >
        > Dear Alex,
        > Op 1-jul-2013, om 17:17 heeft truth_aerator het volgende geschreven:
        >
        > So, I believe this is where intentional effort at developing panna
        > comes in. Panna does not appear by itself. It is not God's grace,
        > or undeserved gift. It something that is developed.
        > ------
        > N: Agreed, pa~n~naa has to be developed. Understanding of what? Of > a table or a person or a story, or: realities. Then we have to know
        > first what realities are. What are the objects of pa~n~naa of the
        > eightfold Path? Naama and ruupa that appear just one at a time through one of the six doors. Not a table or a person. When pa~n~naa
        > of the eightfold Path arises there is right effort already and no
        > need to think of intentional effort. If one thinks of intentional
        > effort there is likely to be an idea of self who has that.
        ----

        T: Realities (body and mind, phenomena) are not-self (anatta). Seeing them as not-self, he/she attains "the calming of all activities, renunciation of all attachment, the destruction of craving, the fading away of desire, cessation, nirvana" (sabbasan.khaarasamthe, sabhuupadhipa.tinissagge, ta.nhakkhaye, viraage, nirodhe, nibbaane). This is the so-called pa~n~naa in Early Buddhism.

        Thomas