Re: [dsg] Re: on understanding was: re: science and Dhamma don

    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 30, 2013
      Dear Alex,
      Op 29-jun-2013, om 18:46 heeft truth_aerator het volgende geschreven:

      > Perhaps if one avoids thinking about what has appeared then there
      > is right understanding, right?
      -------
      N: It is not the matter of avoiding anything, that is not possible
      when a reality has arisen already. Also thinking is real and it is
      different from seeing. When right understanding has developed more by
      listening, listening again and again, it knows that thinking has this
      characteristic and seeing has that characteristic, without having to
      think about it.

    • truth_aerator
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 30, 2013
        Dear Nina, all,

        >N: It is not the matter of avoiding anything, that is not possible
        >when a reality has arisen already.

        Isn't it preferable to avoid wrong views and cultivate right views?

        With best wishes,

        Alex
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 30, 2013
          Dear Alex,
          Op 30-jun-2013, om 13:47 heeft truth_aerator het volgende geschreven:

          > N: It is not the matter of avoiding anything, that is not possible
          > >when a reality has arisen already.
          > >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

          > Isn't it preferable to avoid wrong views and cultivate right views?
          ------
          N: It is pa~n~naa that knows wrong view when it arises or right view
          when it arises. It all depends on pa~n~naa whether they are known or
          not.

        • truth_aerator
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 30, 2013
            Dear Nina, all,

            >N:It is pa~n~naa that knows wrong view when it arises or right view
            >when it arises. It all depends on pa~n~naa whether they are known or
            >not.

            Is panna passive, a vipaka citta?

            With best wishes,

            Alex
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 1, 2013
              Dear Alex,
              Op 30-jun-2013, om 16:10 heeft truth_aerator het volgende geschreven:

              > Is panna passive, a vipaka citta?
              -------
              N: It can arise with sobhana cittas. Thus, vipaakacittas like rebirth-
              consciousness is included. But when we speak about pa~n~naa that
              understand realities it is by no means passive. It can be developed
              and there are many degrees of it.
              The Atthasālinī gives a definition of understanding:

              quotation

              Understanding has the penetration of intrinsic nature, unfaltering
              penetration as its characteristic, like the penetration of an arrow
              shot by a skilled archer; illumination of the object as its function,
              as it were a lamp; non-perplexity as its manifestation, as it were a
              good guide in the forest.
              --------
              Pa~n~naa is one of the perfections to be developed, it is foremost.
              To be developed in order to realize the four noble Truths.
              The whole of the teachings are about its development.

            • truth_aerator
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 1, 2013
                Dear Nina, all,

                >Alex: Is panna passive, a vipaka citta?
                >N:...But when we speak about pa~n~naa that understand realities it is >by no means passive. It can be developed and there are many degrees of >it.

                So, I believe this is where intentional effort at developing panna comes in. Panna does not appear by itself. It is not God's grace, or undeserved gift. It something that is developed.

                With best wishes,

                Alex
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 2, 2013
                  Dear Alex,
                  Op 1-jul-2013, om 17:17 heeft truth_aerator het volgende geschreven:

                  > So, I believe this is where intentional effort at developing panna
                  > comes in. Panna does not appear by itself. It is not God's grace,
                  > or undeserved gift. It something that is developed.
                  ------
                  N: Agreed, pa~n~naa has to be developed. Understanding of what? Of a
                  table or a person or a story, or: realities. Then we have to know
                  first what realities are. What are the objects of pa~n~naa of the
                  eightfold Path? Naama and ruupa that appear just one at a time
                  through one of the six doors. Not a table or a person. When pa~n~naa
                  of the eightfold Path arises there is right effort already and no
                  need to think of intentional effort. If one thinks of intentional
                  effort there is likely to be an idea of self who has that.

                • thomaslaw03
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 2, 2013
                    Dear all,

                    > Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > Dear Alex,
                    > Op 1-jul-2013, om 17:17 heeft truth_aerator het volgende geschreven:
                    >
                    > So, I believe this is where intentional effort at developing panna
                    > comes in. Panna does not appear by itself. It is not God's grace,
                    > or undeserved gift. It something that is developed.
                    > ------
                    > N: Agreed, pa~n~naa has to be developed. Understanding of what? Of > a table or a person or a story, or: realities. Then we have to know
                    > first what realities are. What are the objects of pa~n~naa of the
                    > eightfold Path? Naama and ruupa that appear just one at a time through one of the six doors. Not a table or a person. When pa~n~naa
                    > of the eightfold Path arises there is right effort already and no
                    > need to think of intentional effort. If one thinks of intentional
                    > effort there is likely to be an idea of self who has that.
                    ----

                    T: Realities (body and mind, phenomena) are not-self (anatta). Seeing them as not-self, he/she attains "the calming of all activities, renunciation of all attachment, the destruction of craving, the fading away of desire, cessation, nirvana" (sabbasan.khaarasamthe, sabhuupadhipa.tinissagge, ta.nhakkhaye, viraage, nirodhe, nibbaane). This is the so-called pa~n~naa in Early Buddhism.

                    Thomas