satipatthana can't be practiced at a strip club, for most of us anyway.

  • truth_aerator
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 27, 2013
      Hi Phil, all,

      >Phil: What are the factors that conditioned the physical intimation of >writing. No way to know. Is 'no way to know' a problem? Why let 'no way >to know' whether the motivation to meditate is kusala or not get in the >way of just plunking down on a cushion and getting to work on it? Maybe >the meditation itself will reveal the nature of the motivation.

      You are correct. But the thing is that some people on this board seem to telepathically know that all meditation is wrong. As if they can see the mind of those meditators...

      With best wishes,

      Alex
    • truth_aerator
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 27, 2013
        Hi Phil, all,

        >Phil: What are the factors that conditioned the physical intimation of >writing. No way to know. Is 'no way to know' a problem? Why let 'no way >to know' whether the motivation to meditate is kusala or not get in the >way of just plunking down on a cushion and getting to work on it? Maybe >the meditation itself will reveal the nature of the motivation.

        You are correct. But the thing is that some people on this board seem to telepathically know that all meditation is wrong. As if they can see the mind of those meditators...

        With best wishes,

        Alex
      • philip
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 28, 2013
          Hi Alex all

          > >Phil: What are the factors that conditioned the physical intimation of >writing. No way to know. Is 'no way to know' a problem? Why let 'no way >to know' whether the motivation to meditate is kusala or not get in the >way of just plunking down on a cushion and getting to work on it? Maybe >the meditation itself will reveal the nature of the motivation.
          > >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

          > You are correct. But the thing is that some people on this board seem to telepathically know that all meditation is wrong. As if they can see the mind of those meditators...

          To point out - not that it matters because this is just words words words - but the above is quoted out of context. I was laying out that line of thinking as an example of what could go through the meditators mind to justify disregarding greed.

          Yes it does seem that meditation is automatically written off by students of AS. Some of us have experienced enough to know where the fault lies. For example Sarah who was almost starved to serious illness as a hard core Mahasi devotee. (If I recall correctly she was working in slo mo to serve meals to other "yogis" so didn't have time for her own slo mo munching.) Anyways the meditation debate is really a waste of time because what is important is to develop understanding of the arisen dhamma. . If people wanted to meditate and think it's kusala fine go ahead just don't foist it on others. Actually there aren't many people who do that here. It seems the biggest advocates of meditation here are people such as yourself who don't actually meditate. Which makes sense since if you were actually a serious meditator you wouldn't be here on the Internet all the time.

          Phil
        • truth_aerator
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 28, 2013
            Hello Phil, all,

            >Yes it does seem that meditation is automatically written off by >students of AS.

            Too bad.

            >Some of us have experienced enough to know where the fault lies.

            Have they experienced Jhanas, the real ones?

            What about learning, and counterpart signs for various meditation subjects (up to 40 different objects of meditation).

            >For example Sarah who was almost starved to serious illness as a hard >core Mahasi devotee.

            Do other practices. Meditation doesn't start and end with slo mo eating and serving.

            Just some ideas.
            ==========

            Alex
          • philip
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 28, 2013
              Hi Alex

              I'm put on this topic, thanks. Just ping ponging on it here, year after year after year...

              (@_@)

              Phil
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 4 12:35 AM
                Hi Phil,

                --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "philip" <philco777@...> wrote:

                > Yes it does seem that meditation is automatically written off by students of AS. Some of us have experienced enough to know where the fault lies. For example Sarah who was almost starved to serious illness as a hard core Mahasi devotee. (If I recall correctly she was working in slo mo to serve meals to other "yogis" so didn't have time for her own slo mo munching.) Anyways the meditation debate is really a waste of time because what is important is to develop understanding of the arisen dhamma. .
                S: Agree - as you wrote in another message, "just momentary dhammas that arise for a moment and fall away". The story you wrote is all mixed up, but as you wrote to Mahesh, we have "a good chance to drop the stories occasionally and go deeper into the heart of the Buddha's teaching", so it's unimportant anyway.
                >If people wanted to meditate and think it's kusala fine go ahead just don't foist it on others. Actually there aren't many people who do that here. It seems the biggest advocates of meditation here are people such as yourself who don't actually meditate. Which makes sense since if you were actually a serious meditator you wouldn't be here on the Internet all the time.
                S: I'd also point out that there are also students of Ajahn Sujin who have had/have all sorts of erroneous ideas about attainments, such as ideas of being enlightened, having experienced jhanas and so on. Wrong view and clinging to self are so deeply rooted.

                ======