Re: TA on the purpose of studying Dhamma

  • philip
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 26, 2013
      Dear group

      > Because people expect a lot from studying Dhamma, so highly, to the moment when there's no pain at all, no unpleasant things; but studying means that, whatever one studies, the result is the understanding of whatever one has studied, right? if you've studied medicine you understand what medicine is, if you've studied cooking you know how to cook: (you) just know and understand what you've learnt.
      > But when you think that you're studying the Teachings, the best or the good ones, and it will bring you something, but what is 'something' in your mind, peace of heart, peace of mind, or no pain, no worries, or what?

      Such an important point. I feel I am also wanting to be happy by listening to Dhamma, that desire is always always lurking. A principal material of the dome of lobha, me me me wanting to be happy. Wanting to escape unpleasant mental feeling which of course includes the second arrow of mental aversion to bodily unpleasant feeling.

      Ignorance is at the root of dukkha so understanding is the way to the end of dukkha?

      Phil