Re: [dsg] science and Dhamma don't mix

  • Sukinder
    Message 1 of 199 , Jun 25, 2013
      Hi Alex, (and Phil)

      > >I wonder if that is true? I seem to remember that he stressed that
      > >there is no difference between the way science teaches about reality
      > >and the way Dhamma teaches about reality.
      > >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

      > There is BIG difference, and I hope that people stop trying to compare
      > obsolete, 5th century Indian science with modern 21st century Science.

      The science of 5th century India must most of it be obsolete and
      unreliable. But Abhidhamma is not science.
      Please show me how the idea of seeing being a kind of consciousness
      which experiences visible object, a physical phenomena conditioned by
      the four primary elements, is wrong and obsolete? And please show me how
      talking about the characteristic, function, manifestation and proximate
      cause of feeling, is science?

      Metta,
      Sukin

      Message 199 of 199 , Aug 3, 2013
        Dear Thomas,
        Op 3 aug 2013, om 03:49 heeft thomaslaw03 het volgende geschreven:

        > Th: Thanks for your reply. It brought my attention to it. Yes, according to the SN suttas, one should first fully know the phenomena of the five aggregates (nama-rupa) themselves, and then fully see them as anicca, dukkha, or anatta.
        ------
        N: That is right. Sati and pa~n~naa have to attend to their characteristics when they appear and this is, as Acharn Sujin says, beyond words. It is not thinking about them. But for all of us it takes quite some time before we really understand this. We are bound to take thinking for awareness. Above all, there is no person who is trying to know, sati and pa~n~naa perform their functions. They arise because of conditions and these are listening to the Dhamma and considering it.

        -----